Intro: Chocolate Cherry Mouse Treats
Materials needed for this project:
- 1 bag of Hershey kisses
- 1 bag of thinly slice almonds
- 1 bag of fresh cherries
- Wax paper (not pictured)
- 2 bars of baking chocolate
- 1 container of cake pearls
- 1 knife
- 1 spoon
- 1 stove top safe cooking pot (6 inches x 11.25 inches x 5.75 inches)
- 1 glass bowl (4.38 inches x 11.75 inches x 11.75 inches)
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 cup of water
- 2 plates
Tip: All required materials can be found at any large grocery store such as Giant or Shoppers. Baking chocolate selections can be made to fit preference such as white, dark, or milk chocolate.
Tip: Make sure the glass bowl you choose is slightly smaller than your pot. The glass bowl will be place inside your pot and should not touch the bottom of the pot.
- This project includes the use of cherries, chocolates, and almonds. Do not complete this project if you are allergic to any of these items.
- When consuming your chocolate covered cherry mouse treat beware of cherry pits. Do not ingest the cherry pit.
- This project requires stove top use. Be weary of heat levels and take precaution when operating your stove and handling the heated pot.
Step 1: Boil Your Water
- To begin creating your chocolate mouse treat you will need to pour one cup of water into standard (insert pot measurement) pot.
- Place the pot with added water on to your stove top, set stove to a high temperature (9 if you are using an electric stove top) to bring your water to a boil. It should take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to bring your water to a boil.
Step 2: Create Mouse Heads
- While you are waiting for your water to boil lay out your chocolate cherry mouse treat materials (one handful of sliced almonds, Hershey kisses, and cherries) on a plate and begin creating your mouse heads. Take one Hershey’s kiss and push two cake pearls halfway deep into the top of the kiss to assemble the eyes. See picture for exact location.
Tip: lay out as many Hershey kisses and cherries to create as many mouse treats as you desire.
Step 3: Melt Your Chocolate
- Put your plate of ingredients aside. Once your water is brought to a boil you can begin melting your chocolate.
- Break bar of chocolate into 8 individual pieces
- Add all pieces of chocolate into glass bowl so that each piece is touching base of the bowl
- Bring stove to a low to medium temperature (3 if you are using an electric stove)
- Put bowl directly on top of pot
- Once the chocolate begins to melt stir occasionally for 5 to 8 minutes
- After 8 minutes your chocolate should be fully melted, take the pot off the stove and continue to stir your chocolate
Tip: Stirring your melted chocolate occasionally (every 2 to 3 minutes) will keep your chocolate from sticking to your glass bowl.
Step 4: Dip You Cherries
- Once your chocolate is completely melted remove your pot from the stove and place on a heat resistant surface. Keep your glass bowl on top of your pot, the residual heat from the water in the pot will keep your chocolate melted.
- Place a sheet of wax paper on top of a new plate.
- Hold one cherry by its stem. Dip cherries fully into the melted chocolate, take a spoon to pour chocolate on top of the cherry to fully cover it.
- Dip as many cherries as you would like. 8 individual pieces of melted baking chocolate will yield enough melted chocolate to dip 1 full small bag of cherries.
- Place chocolate dipped cherries onto your plate covered with wax paper and place into the fridge for 13 to 15 minutes to harden your chocolate.
Step 5: Assemble Your Mouse
- After 13 to 15 minutes has passed take your chocolate covered cherries out of the fridge. Now we will add the head and ears of the mouse to the cherry. Your chocolate should be completely solidified.
- Add a small amount of chocolate to the bottom of the Hershey kiss by filling a spoon with chocolate and dip the back of the Hershey’s kiss (flat side of the kiss) on top of the chocolate on the spoon. The chocolate should completely cover the flat side of your kiss.
- Add two almond slices on flat side of the Hershey kiss above the eyes. See photo for exact location.
- Your head is now complete! Take the completed head and push it onto the cherry on the opposite side of the cherry stem.
- Place the completed chocolate cherry covered mouse back in the fridge for 5 to 6 minutes to let all the chocolate harden and attach the mouse head to its cherry body.
- After 5 to 6 minutes remove your chocolate covered cherry treats from the fridge and serve! Enjoy!