In my humble opinion, if a dessert isn't chocolate, it isn't worth the calories. This pie is deeply chocolate and worth every single calorie! It takes only 10 minutes to assemble and is nearly impossible to mess up. You can serve it plain, or dress it up with some toppings. I served mine with whipped coconut cream!
The consistency of this pie is almost like fudge...dense and very rich, but not super sweet. Just sweet enough to be classified as dessert.
Step 1: Ingredients
1 unbaked 9inch pie shell (I used a gluten free store bought, feel free to make your own if you wish)
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (make sure they are gluten/dairy free)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
1.5 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Step 2: Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Over low heat, melt your coconut oil in a small pot. When the coconut oil is completely melted, add in the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir until the chocolate is melted and there are no lumps.
3. In a medium sized bowl, use a whisk to mix your eggs, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, vanilla and coconut milk.
4. Slowly stir in the melted chocolate/coconut oil mixture, whisking constantly to combine everything. Whisk again briskly to make sure there are no lumps.
5. Pour your filling into the unbaked pie crust.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-32 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let the pie cool on the counter for an hour, then either serve or transfer to the fridge to store until you are ready to serve.