Introduction: Chocolate Pudding Pie: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
Sometimes you just want something SWEET and CHOCOLATE!
Since giving up dairy, gluten-free has become that much harder for me! I feel like I can't eat ANYTHING some days! The other day, I was at a friend's house for a "Galentine's" Day lunch. She had made a chocolate pudding in the cutest, little cups! This inspired me to do my own gluten-free, dairy free, vegan Chocolate Pudding Pie- guilt free!
Of course, you can always ditch the pie crust recipe and go without, for just a pudding.
I hope you enjoy!
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
Pie Crust Recipe:
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 2 TBL Coconut Oil
- 2 TBL Sugar ( or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla
- 1 pinch Salt
I wanted this to be like a graham cracker crust, but you could use whatever pie crust you like! :)
Step 2: Mix 5 Ingredients Together
- Mix the 5 pie crust recipe ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients (Almond flour, sugar, and salt), first. Mix. Then, add vanilla and coconut oil.
- Mix all together, using hands. At first, I tried to use a spoon and then decided it would be easier to use my fingers! (You are going to use your fingers in the next step, anyway, so you might as well get started!)
- It should clump together and then fall apart as you mix.
It will not stick together like typical pie crust dough and that is okay!
(You will be pressing it into the pan, in a later step.)
Step 3: Press Into Pie Plate
- Using your hands, press crust mixture into pie plate.
(No need to grease, because of the coconut oil.)
- Try to spread the crust thin, without leaving gaps or holes.
I like to press my fingers up to the edges and really get the corners well. (See picture)
Otherwise, you will end up with thick corners.
- As you push up, some of the mixture will slide to the rim of the plate.
You can leave it there for a higher crust, or choose to take it off, for a cleaner look,
as I did.
Step 4: Bake Your Pie Crust
Your pie crust is ready to bake!
Bake pie crust at 350 for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool.
(For faster cooling, I put mine in the freezer till it was cool enough to touch.)
Step 5: Step 5: Chocolate Pudding Filling Ingredients
You are now ready for the next step! Or if you are only making pudding, you can skip to here!
Chocolate Pudding (filling) recipe:
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (dairy free for vegan version)
- 1 13 oz CAN Coconut Milk (canned, full fat)
- 1/2 Cup Milk (I used Almond Milk, for dairy free version)
- 2 TB Honey
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- Salt (optional)
If you are using sweetened, vanilla flavored Almond Milk, you may not need to use the vanilla or honey, but I did! Like I said, I wanted something SWEET to eat! ;)
Step 6: Step 6: Mix Pudding Ingredients on Stove Top
- Add all pudding ingredients together on stove top.
- Stir on medium heat just till chocolate chips melt.
- Remove from heat.
Step 7: Let Cool.
- Pour liquid chocolate filling into prepared, cooled pie crust.
(Or pour into cups or dishes for pudding.)
- Let cool on counter and then move to fridge.
(You can even put it in the freezer. This is very good frozen!)
Step 8: Serve
- Serve. (If frozen, let thaw for 5-10 minutes, before serving.)
- You may add your favorite toppings (optional).
I chose to drizzle raspberry syrup and fresh raspberries on top.
My favorite is serving this as a thawed, frozen treat!