Introduction: Christmas Kicks
Here is a step by step guide on how to up-cycle some old sneakers using tissue paper and fabric transforming them into a pair of original wearable masterpieces
I made these as a christmas gift for a friend
- An old pair of sneakers, high tops, or canvas shoes
- A couple plastic grocery bags or Bubble wrap
- Masking Tape Tissue Paper / Fabric in design of choice
- Thin paint brush
- Mod podge sparkle
- Foam paint brushes
- Roll of self adhesive clear book-covering vinyl film
- Craft Knife (like X-Acto)
- Mod podge fabric
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Prepping
- Remove laces
- Clean the shoe thoroughly using washing-up liquid and dish brush
- Dry thoroughly
TIP: Push a plastic bag or bubble wrap into the toe area of the shoe to help give it stability
Step 2: Step 2: MASK OFF SOLES
- Cover the edges/sides of the soles of the shoes with masking tape.
- Repeat piece by piece, with each piece slightly overlapping the piece before it.
Step 3: Step 3: CUT OUT THE DESIGNS FROM TISSUE PAPER
- Using scissors or a craft knife cut out the pictures on tissue paper you wish to use
- I choose the penguin, polar bear and some geometric style mountains.
- Experiment with design elements to determine the layout of your piece.
Step 4: STEP 4: STICK THE PICS
- Apply a base coat of Mod Podge to the shoe surface using foam applicator
- Place your item(s) to be decoupaged on top of the Mod Podge.
- Smooth out wrinkles with dry clean foam applicator
- Keep smoothing until all of the bubbles are removed.
- IMPORTANT, let your project dry for 15 – 20 minutes
- Don’t put a top coat on right away.
Step 5: STEP 5: APPLY TOP COAT
- Add a top coat of Mod Podge sparkle to your project using a sponge applicator.
- Allow to dry and then repeat.
- The number of coats you finish with is up to you, but I recommend at least two.
Step 6: STEP 6: COVERING THE TOE
- Cut a piece of sticky back plastic approx 20CM X 20CM from roll
- Remove backing
- place over sneaker toe and use a sharpie to draw on plastic the shape needed in fabric
- Remove from shoe and place plastic onto desired fabric for toe
- Cut fabric along black sharpie line to exact size to cover toe
- apply fabric modge podge to toe of shoe
- place fabric on shoe in position and smooth any creases
Step 7: STEP 7: LACE 'EM UP
- Use Christmas ribbon as shoelaces
Participated in the