Intro: Cityscape Lampshade and Paint Can Light Art
Here we are going to make a cool looking lampshade/tin light. It is a step towards getting rid of those boring lamps in your house and replacing them with a design of your favorite city, video game logo or whatever!
- Paint Can
- Drillpress OR a Hammer and Nail
- Paint (if your shade is white)
- Needle, pin, or nail
- Thimble (necessary if you want to protect your fingers but if your fingers are made out of steel, you're all covered)
Step 1: Prepping the Lampshade/Paint Can
- Print off the silhouette you are going to use
- Trim it down to size
- Tape it to the lampshade/paint can
Step 2: Drill/Poke the Holes
- Use a large needle or nail to poke holes along the outline of the design
- A thimble comes in handy here!
- Use a Drill press or Drill to make holes along the outline of the design
- It is best to use a self starting bit so that it doesn't wander.
Adjust the distance between adjacent holes to make a different style silhouette. We used smaller holes to make the cityscape and larger holes for the stars.
Step 3: Stick a Light in It
Use a plug light with an extension cord or a light socket. Stick the shade on your favorite lamp and enjoy :D