These healthy coconut raisin pancakes are completely free of any flour or nuts. They are nutrient dense with whole eggs and banana as the base, shredded coconut for texture and flavour with bursts of natural sweetness from the raisins.
You will need:
- 2 sugar bananas (just ripe and yellow work best)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp raisins or currants
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- coconut oil for cooking
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Use Sugar Bananas (not the Regular Cavendish Type)
It is important to use just ripe sugar bananas (that have just turned yellow, without black spots). This will give you the thick batter needed for a fluffier pancake. Sugar bananas are also known as Ducasse, they are short, fat with a thin skin as pictured and can be found in most Asian supermarkets. The standard Cavendish types will create a more watery batter with a thinner pancake so I do recommend using only the sugar bananas.
Step 2: Prepare the Batter
Place all the ingredients EXCEPT raisins in a high speed blender or magic bullet until smooth
Step 3: Add the Raisins
Add the raisins and pulse once to mix through the batter, do not process until smooth, you want the burst of the whole fruit in the pancake
Step 4: Cook the Pancakes
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a non stick pan on medium high heat and evenly coat the pan
- The pan is ready when the batter sizzles slightly but does not bubble and thin out
- You can test by adding a small drop of batter
- Stir the batter with a tablespoon to evenly distribute the raisins in case they have settled at the bottom
- Drop one tablespoon per pancake in the pan, I fit 7 pancakes in my pan
- Cook for 1-2 minutes each side, checking they don't burn and adjust the heat if needed as the natural fruit sugars can make them burn quickly
- Stack and Enjoy!
Check out my blog loveurbelly for more recipes and healthy living tips :)
Please vote for me too! <3