Introduction: Coffee Prep for Hot, Iced, Regular, & Decaf Coffee Always Available
This is a system I've worked out over the years to prep my coffee so that I always have hot, iced, regular, or decaf coffee on hand. This process is inexpensive and simple plus it doesn't take up any extra counter space!
Here's how this coffee prep works:
I cold brew 14 oz of regular and decaf coffee. Many people confuse cold brew for iced coffee. Cold brew is actually a brewing method, whereas iced coffee is a beverage. Cold Brew is brewed using cold or room temperature water over coarse ground coffee and left to brew for 12-24 hours.
With cold brewing you generally get a more balanced, smoother, and less acidic coffee that isn't bitter. Plus, cold brewing tends to extract more caffeine 👍🏻
The reason cold brewing works for both iced and hot coffee is that it makes a coffee concentrate. To make iced coffee, you simply add ice and cold water. To make hot coffee, you simple add hot water. That's all there is to it!
Let's get to it!...
- 14 - 16 oz of Regular Coffee
- 14 - 16 oz of Decaf Coffee
- Toddy Cold Brew System (or a similar cold brew system): https://www.amazon.com/Toddy-THM-Cold-Brew-System...
- An extra pitcher (I recommend the Takeya pitcher because the Toddy system fits on top): https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Patented-Airtight-Pi...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Brew Coffee Using Toddy Brewing System
I won't go into great detail on how to cold brew using the Toddy. It's fairly straightforward and simple but does take 12-24 hours for the coffee to brew. This is where the preppings part comes in.
I've included a video I previously made on how to use the Toddy.
In addition, here are the instructions from their website: https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/instruction-manual
The user, LeDesordre, also has a great DIY cold brew intractable available if that's more you thing:https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cold-Brew-Coffee/
Step 2: Store Brewed Coffee in the Fridge
Once your coffee concentrate is done brewing, it's time to throw it in the fridge. Your coffee prep is now over!
The great part is that the coffee concentrate will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
So keep it cold in there until you're ready to drink in the next steps...
Step 3: How to Make Iced Coffee (Regular or Decaf)
Here's how to use the coffee concentrate you prepped to make iced coffee when you're ready. The process is the same for decaf or regular.
- Pour your coffee concentrate into a glass
- 25% - 33% of the entire iced coffee should be coffee concentrate. You can adjust depending on preference for stronger or weaker coffee.
- Toss in a good amount of ice cubes.
- Fill the remaining 66% - 75% of your glass with cold water.
- Add any sweeteners or cream.
Step 4: How to Make Hot Coffee (Regular or Decaf)
Here's how to use the coffee concentrate you prepped to make hot coffee when you're ready. The process is the same for decaf or regular.
- Begin by boiling some water.
- Pour your coffee concentrate into a mug.
- 25% - 33% of the entire coffee should be coffee concentrate. You can adjust depending on preference for stronger or weaker coffee.
- Fill the remaining 66% - 75% of your glass with hot water. I've found that water right off of a boil combined with the cold coffee concentrate makes it the perfect drinking temperature without having to wait for it to cool down! 👍🏻
- Add any sweeteners or cream.
Step 5: Enjoy!
Hope this helps you out! It's been great for me as a way to have all the types of coffee I want always available. I'll frequently have a hot regular coffee in the morning and an iced decaf coffee in the afternoon. Saves a ton compared with going to Starbucks and doesn't even take up any counter space!
if you enjoyed this, you might enjoy my podcast and other projects I do like this over at https://www.youtube.com/c/TravDeRose
Thanks and please let me know your thoughts, questions, and tips for improvements in the comments!
Participated in the
Meal Prep Challenge