Intro: Connect ChromeCast Via Ethernet
Google have recently announced an official adapter to connect your Chromecast via ethernet.
Sadly this wasn't available (At the time of writing) in my country.
Luckily for me there is a way of doing this using 3rd party parts, And best of all it involves No Hacking, No Software Mods And doesn't even require configuring!
Step 1: Hardware
You will require Three very cheap pieces of hardware.
- OTG cable with power. (Known as a OTG Y Cable)
- Ethernet dongle which MUST use a ASIX AX88xx chip.
- Standard Ethernet patch cable.
The OTG cable can be found on ebay, using the search term "Micro USB Male to USB Female Host OTG Cable Adapter + Micro USB Female Y Cable" finds good results.
Here's a link to the one i purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-Male-To-USB-Fe...
Ensure it looks simular to the one in the photo. Full size USB-A female and 1 micro usb male and 1 micro usb female.
When purchasing an Ethernet dongle ensure your dongle uses a ASIX AX88xxx chip
Ensure the devices is usb 2.0 and 10/100.
I purchased "STOREINBOX USB 2.0 10/100 Lan" from amazon
I have read that BobjGear "Ethernet Adapter for Android" is working too! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RTACDM/ref=c...
Ethernet cable can be any standard patch cable cat5 or cat6 at any length as long as it reaches from your chrome-cast to your wifi router.
Setup is really easy
- un-plug the usb charging lead from your Chromecast
- plug the charging lead it into the OTG Cable,
- plug your ethernet dongle into the OTG cable.
- Using the patch lead connect the Ethernet dongle into your wifi router.
- Plug the OTG Cable into your chrome cast.
Chromecast will pickup the dongle automatically and will now use the wired connection instead of wifi.