- Welcome to the Virtual Computing Lab setup instructions.
- Complete the following steps to get connected to the VCL and begin your lab assignment.
Step 1: Check Your Browser
- It’s recommended that you use the newest version of Mozilla Firefox.
- Check which version you have and if an update is available.
Step 2: Turn Off Pop-up Blocker
- It’s a good idea to temporarily turn off pop-up blockers: Firefox > Options > Content > uncheck “Block pop-up windows.”
- Remember to re-enable these when you’re done using the VCL.
Step 3: Adobe Flash Player Is Required
- The VCL requires Adobe Flash Player. You most likely already have this on your computer but if you’re not sure then check for it at: http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Step 4: Start Cisco AnyConnect
- Go to https://vpn.csvcl.net
- Login to “Cisco SSL VPN Service.”
- GROUP: OOB-anyconnect
- USERNAME: type your username
- PASSWORD: type your password
Step 5: Start Cisco AnyConnect (continued)
- Click Start AnyConnect
Step 6: Start Cisco AnyConnect (continued)
- A Security Warning asks, “Do you want to run this application?” Click Run
Step 7: Start Cisco AnyConnect (continued)
- Cisco AnyConnect will install and connect you to the VPN automatically.
- You may receive the message, “VPN Connection Establishment failed.” This message is sometimes incorrect.
- To ensure if AnyConnect is running go to Programs > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility client to launch an confirm it says “Connected”
- If you are connected then move to the next step, if not then retry the steps to Start AnyConnect.
Step 8: Login to the VCL Website
- Go to URL https://csvcl.vcl.local/cloud/org/csec*** (*** is your course number)
- Click I Understand the Risks and Add Exception…
- “Add Security Exception” leave Permanently store this exception checked and click Confirm Security Exception.
Step 9: Login to the VCL Website (continued)
- Bookmark this webpage.
- Login to “vmware Virtual Computing Lab”
- User name: type your username
- Password: type your password
Step 10: Create a VApp
- Click Add Cloud Computer System
- This may also read: Add vApp from Catalog
Step 11: Create a VApp (continued)
- “Add vApp from Catalog: Select vApp Template” Select CSEC*** and click Next (*** is your course number)
Step 12: Create a VApp (continued)
- “Name this vApp” Name: type in your username. Click Finish
Step 13: Create a VApp (continued)
- Wait for the vApp to finish “Creating…”
- When the vApp reads “Stopped” click the green play button
- Wait for the vApp to read “Running” This process takes about 1 minute.
Step 14: Download the VMRC Plugin
- Double click the vApp box.
Step 15: Download the VMRC Plugin (continued)
- Double click the vApp icon.
Step 16: Download the VMRC Plugin (continued)
- Click to download the VMRC Plugin.
Step 17: Download the VMRC Plugin (continued)
- Save the VMRC install package to your desktop. The file will begin downloading.
Step 18: Install the VMRC Plugin
Once the download is complete, close Firefox and double click the vmware-vmrc-win32-x86 install package. The Installation Wizard for the VMRC Plugin will pop up. Complete the Installation Wizard.
Step 19: Login to the VCL Website Again
- Return to the VCL login webpage https://csvcl.vcl.local/cloud/org/csec*** and login.
Step 20: Launch the VApp
- Click the vApp icon.
- If the black vApp icon is not visible then double click the same area.
Step 21: Launch the VApp (continued)
- The vApp window will pop up. Click Full-Screen at the top right of the window. The full-screen button is at the top right of the window.
Step 22: Launch the VApp (continued)
- At the top of the window click VMware Remote Console and click Send Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Click OK
- “Log On to Windows”
- User name: type student1
- Password: type Csec*** (*** is your course number)
Step 23: Complete Your Lab Assignment
• Go to the Lab Assignment instructions found in WebTycho > Conferences > Week * and complete the lab then answer the following response questions. Good luck!