Introduction: Small Powerful and Cheap Bench Power Supply
This project is based on ATX power supply so if you have some laying around you can make this project.
Cheap, easy, powerful and AWESOME power supply. You won't need too much components and it’s for beginners.
When I said powerful, I mean a really powerful. My ATX PSU can give from 12V 10A, from 5V 10A and from 3,3V 12A which is a lot, but you can have even more powerful one (I had only this one available).
As I said it’s very easy, simple and cheap (for me it cost about 15$, because I had the ATX power supply for free)
some patience (some things are hard and frustrating)
Step 1: Components That You Will Need
1. a plastic box (I used this one - 120x80x50mm)
2. 1 black banana socket and 3 red sockets (link is at the end)
3. USB socket
4. mini power switch
5. one 3mm red led with 1k rezistor (these worked the best for me, because I am using 5V)
6. one 3mm green led with 220 ohm rezistor
7. (optional) car cigaret lighter plug
8. ATX power cable extender (be careful to check the pins on the main ATX cable - there are two types - 24pin or 20pin)
9. tools : a drill, soldering iron, screwdriver, some glue (I recommend the epoxy glue), pliers and some wires
Step 2: Gather All Components
Step 3: Drill the Holes
for: banana sockets, USB connector, power switch and leds
Step 4: Solder All Components
I recommend to add shrinking tube to all connections.