A sample-sized dental floss container can be converted into a pocket sized thread carrier with a thread cutter. Nice way to carry thread and cutter for emergency hand stitching at shows, weddings, etc.
Supplies and Tools
- One or more small dental floss holders that are thick enough your bobbin will fit inside.
- A small-bladed tool that can cut thin plastic.
Small wire-cutters , scissors, craft razor knife ... whatever you have.
- A sewing machine bobbin wound with thread.
(Idea and pictures by Jan Peterson of the "Vintage Sewing Machines (Non-Singer)" Facebook group, used with her permission because she doesn't have an Instructables account)
Step 1: Modifying the Floss Container
- Open the container (A)
- Remove the spool of floss (B)
The floss rotates on a axle of plastic, or may have several tabs making the axle. Brands vary.
- Decide which tabs or parts of the axle have to be removed to hold the bobbin.
- Cut out the necessary tabs or part of the inner axle to accommodate the bobbin. (C)
- Place the bobbin over the modified axle and draw the thread through the slot. (D)
- Close the cover.