This is a simple no matching transformer needed HDTV antenna made from a cookie tin. This antenna is designed for the lower end frequencies that are in use by HDTV but performs well through out the entire frequency set. The template should making construction a bit easier.
This is my first Instructable so please provide constructive feedback.
Be careful when working with the metal and use safety gear when needed. There are many sharp pieces when building this antenna.
Step 1: Planning
This is my first rough drawing of the antenna and the lid I used. Any cookie tin lid around ~7-12" in diameter and ~1/2" tall will work.
Step 2: Tools
Only a few basic tools needed
High temp soldering iron with broad tip
Ruler or tape measure
Eye protection and gloves
Step 3: Using the Template
I have made a better template for you guys than what I used. This will work for any size tin; you just have to cut it to fit in the tin.
When printing this just make sure you scale to media.
Using The Template
Cut to fit inside the tin. Notice that it doesn't cover the entire surface and that is ok. You will cut to sides out and color in your cut out.
Step 4: Cutting the Tin
You will be using the tin snips and dremel to cut out the area you marked on the previous step. When complete use the dremel, sand paper and/or a file to remove the burs. Just be slow, patient and wear some gloves and eye protection because those edges are sharp.
Notice that my two sides are a bit uneven (I eyeballed some of the rough template) but you shouldn't have this problem if you use the pdf template attached.
Step 5: Preparing to Attach the Coax
Drill a ~1/4" hole in the tin to feed the coax through and de-bur.
Make a bracket to hold the coax from scraps of the tin you cut out.
I can't recommend sanding the entire tin and any pieces you attach enough. If you do not the solder will not hold as well.
Step 6: Finished & Closing Notes
Below I have the antenna sitting on a bed side lamp picking up every channel available in our area. I have seen similar antennas hanging from windows via suction cups.
I am tossing around the idea of coating this with rubber so it looks more like a store bought product.