Intro: Copycat Maltese Cheese Ravioli With Garlic Tomato Sauce
In this recipe you will find a step by step on how to make home made traditional Maltese Ravioli that everyone will crave for more. I designed it so that anyone can produce even if you have no idea how to cook.
This recipe is for 2 servings and takes 1 hour preparation time and 20 minutes to cook.
Step 1: Ravioli Dough Like a Pro
Ingredients needed for 12 big ravioli measuring 9cm x 7cm (6 ravioli per plate):
200 g plain flour
salt and pepper
10 ml oil
90 ml milk
1. Mix all ingredients apart from the milk in a dough mixer to make a smooth dough. If you do not have a dough mixer you can incorporate all the ingredients together by hand.
2. Add the milk slowly.
3.If by mistake you put more milk and the dough gets too sticky you can add some more flour and mix again.
4. If the mixture has not become a dough you need to add some more milk. Important to note if this happens and you need to add more milk, pour in 5 to 10 ml at a time or otherwise a spoonful of milk.
Step 2: Filling for Ravioli
300 g ricotta cheese
90 ml milk
Salt and pepper
5 g grated cheese (I used grana biraghi it has a slight hint of bacon and dilute taste of salt)
2 g finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Mix all the ingredients together and put in the refrigerator for later use.
Step 3: Making the Ravioli
1. Flatten the dough and pass it through the pasta roller machine.
2. Start it with the biggest setting and continue to get it thinner and thinner till you can almost see through it.
3. Lay it down the pastry on your ready floured bench top.
4. Put around a spoonful of the ricotta cheese filling, keeping around 3 cm apart from each filling.
5. 2 methods are available at this point either use egg yolks to brush on the pastry so that the edges can stick together or else you can choose water. This method is more preferably than the egg yolk method as it will effect the ravioli and have an eggy flavour.
6. Grab one end of the pastry and gently lay it on top of the other. Press gently on every edge of each ravioli so they can stick better and do not open whilst boiling.
7. The best method would if you freeze them prior cooking. This will help the ravioli to get firm and the edges will stick better.
Step 4: Cooking Time
Ingredients for sauce:
1 tablespoon Parsley and garlic dressing
300 ml Tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
Salt & Pepper
Finely chopped fresh parsley to garnish
Prepare the dressing:
50 g parsley
40 g garlic
200 ml oil
Blend altogether. This dressing is good for any pasta and can also be used for salads. You can start using it as a base for any sauce. You won't regret it :) Just remember 1 tablespoon per 2 people is enough.
1. Boil the water and place 6 ravioli per person in the boiling water. Let it cook for 7-8 minutes.
1. In a pan on low heat put 1 tablespoon parsley dressing.
2. Add the garlic and stir for 20 seconds. Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Let it on low heat for 3 minutes or until small bubbles start to rise and the sauce is ready.
3. The best thing now is to enjoy my copycat traditional Maltese ravioli with cheese with a small twist.
4. Grab a fine red wine, pour in a glass and enjoy the meal with your loved ones :)