Throughout this Instructable I will teach you how to make a tasty low sodium garlic and spinach alfredo dish with penne. For how delicious this turns out, you wouldn't believe how easy and quick it can be created.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 lb Penne
- 2 tbsp Butter, unsalted (olive oil works here)
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Spinach, fully packed
- 2 tbsp AP Flour
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable stock, no salt added
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Low sodium parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Black pepper, fresh ground
Step 2: Cook Penne
Start a large pot of water on high heat. Once boiling, reduce to a medium-high heat and add penne to pot. Stir occasionally so pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
Step 3: Add Butter and Garlic
- While the pasta is boiling, turn another saucepan on low-medium heat, add butter and bring to temp.
- Add your garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
Step 4: Creating the Compound Roux.
- Add your flour to the mixture and create a roux.
- Make sure to incorporate all of the flour into the butter as much as possible. You're looking for a paste like consistency with no visible flour left over.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock, milk, and spinach to the pan.
- Mix the spinach into the liquid to incorporate.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened and spinach is wilted.
Step 6: Add in Your Penne.
- Add your penne to the party.
- Stir in the penne to coat with your new wonderful alfredo sauce.
Step 7: Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, show it some love on my recipe website!
You can find the full, detailed recipe with nutrition information over on the website.
This is an entry in the