FIrst of all I would like to thank Instructables and Intel for giving me Intel edison with the starter kit. This Instructable is about creating digital Thermometer (using intel edison). Making digital thermometer is pretty simple and can be made by everyone who knows a little about arduino software. Thermometer will lit up with color based on the temperature. If its hot it will be red while it would be blue if its cold. Here I have kept 25 C as the border temperature between cold and hot temperature for testing purpose. It would show up temperature in Celsius when the button is pressed.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Things You Will Need:-
- Intel Edison Expansion board
- Arduino Motor shield ( to protect your Intel Edison in case something goes wrong)
- Grove-LCD RGB backlight
- Grove Temperature Sensor
- Grove Button
- Connecting Cables
Step 2: Hardware Connections
- First of all follow all steps mentioned in the Intel Edison Getting Started (https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23147) or you can watch both youtube videos by Sparkfun for getting started on Intel Edison.
- Now attach motor shield on expansion board with A0-A3 facing micro-usb side.
- Connect Temperature sensor on A0 , button with D3 and LCD to 12C shown in the figure.
Step 3: Software Side
- Download Arduino IDE (http://arduino.cc/en/main/software)
- Open Arduino and check if the board is Intel Edison and Port is the same as shown in your device manager.
- Copy the code and upload it to Arduino
- Attach Battery and its ready to go.
Step 4: Future Modifications
You can fit in your bag and also its fun to use digital thermometer which was solely created by you. Also you can try and 3D print it`s body to make it look more stylish. You can always mess up with code to create bigger projects. Also if you encounter any problem just comment below and I will try to respond as soon as I can
Participated in the
Make it Glow!