Intro: Creepy Rat Cheeseball
Up your creepy Halloween tablescape with a malevolent and edible giant black rat.
Step 1: Recipe
I decided to go with a jalapeno bacon cheeseball because I love bacon and spicy food, and I feel that you should always celebrate your favorite holiday with your favorite foods.
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic (I hate chopping garlic and used the jarred stuff)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Black sesame seeds (can be purchased at most Asian grocery stores or online)
- Small red pepper
- 1 rope black licorice (yeah, it would taste really weird together if you actually ate it as part of the cheeseball. Sadly I have yet to find a good savory alternative to licorice that would make a convincing black rat tail)
Step 2: Make It!
- Combine all of the cheeseball ingredients until thoroughly mixed. RESERVE the black sesame seeds and red pepper.
- Divide the cheeseball mix into roughly 3/4 and 1/4 parts.
- Take 3/4 of the cheeseball mix and start patting it into a large, rough teardrop or pear shape. The back end should be round and domed, tapering to a point. This is your rat's body.
- Use the remaining 1/4 of the cheesball mix and shape into a smaller teardrop or pear shape. Pinch the top of the head to create small, round ears. Rats don't have much in the way of ears, but you'll want a little something there.
- Take your black sesame seeds and gently pat them into place all over the surface.
- Slice your red pepper to create two slightly angled, rectangular pieces. These are your rat's eyes. Gently push them into place.
- Stick your black licorice in as the tail.
Et voila! A giant rat, ready to be devoured!