Paniyaram is one of the everyday breakfast from the South Indian Cuisine.In most homes, it is usually made with left over or over fermented idli/dosa batter. It is known from different names like paddu, masala paniyaram.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Paniyaram Pan.
- Idli/Dosa batter (as per your requiement).
- Mustard seeds.
- Chana dal.
- Urad dal.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots.
- Green chilies.
- Curry leaves.
- Salt (as per your need).
Step 2: Seasoning
- Heat the pan.
- Add 1tbs oil to a hot pan and add some mustard and urad dal to the pan.
- Wait till the mustard crackle and add curry leaves.
- Saute for a min.
- Add chana dal and peppercorn to the pan.
- Add chopped onion, green chili, and carrots and saute them until onion turns golden brown, switch off the stove and allow this to cool.
Step 3: Prepare the Batter:
- Add the cooled seasoning to the Idli/dosa batter and mix them completely.
- Adjust salt if needed.
Note: Batter must be of medium consistency not very thin or thick.
Step 4: Let's Cook Paniyaram
- Heat the paniyaram pan with some drops of oil in each mold, if you're using a nonstick pan grease it and then use it.
- When the pan is hot enough, fill each mold to 3/4th with dosa batter.
- They will puff and rise.
Step 5: Flip and Cook
- Lower the heat and cook them for 1 - 2 minutes.
- When the base side is fried to golden, flip them over the other side using a wooden spoon or chopstick.
- Wait until other side gets cooked well.
Step 6: Serve With Happiness
Yeah..! We are done with Paniyaram.
Serve the Crispy Kuzhi Paniyaram with mint chutney or sambar.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017