Introduction: Crystal Bok-choy
Bok choy is one of the most iconic vegetables in the chinese cuisine. It has a soft and natural aroma, tender texture when treated properly, and tastes perfect with the simplest of seasonings. Today, I bring you the recipe to the secrete of the Crystal Mini Bok Choy! Enjoy~
Step 1: Ingredients
The ingredients of this dish is very simple. They are:
- bok choy (6-10 stems)
- some red medlar
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- chicken extract
- vegetable oil
Step 2: Washing and Cutting
- To properly clean bokchoy, separate the two outer leaves and scrub clean the insides near the root, as this is where most dirt accumulate. Wash each stem carefully, and soak in clean cold water for 5 minutes.
- Peel garlic cloves, and cut into slices
Step 3: Poaching
- Poach the leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes, in the mean time, start next step.
Step 4: Saute the Garlic
In a hot pan:
- add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- place in half of the garlic you slices earlier and brown it lightly
Step 5: Frying the Bokchoy
- as the bokchoy finish poaching, scoop it out with a slotted spoon and drain out the water.
- put bokchoy into the frying pan
- let it absorb all the flavor in the garlic oil,
- season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, mix well and remove from heat.
- plate the bokchoy in an elegant circle, with the larger leaves facing the center and the bulb stems facing the center too. This actually help the flavor to distribute into the leaves more evenly in the next step.
Step 6: Preparing the Sauce
In a bowl:
- mix 1 tbsp starch with 1 teaspoon chicken extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1/3 cup water and stir thoroughly until it is evenly mixed
Return the frying pan onto the range, high heat:
- pour in the starch mix
- add the remain sliced garlic
- add the red medlar
- cook until the starch causes the water to become sticky
Step 7: Putting It Together
- Pour the sauce over the already plated bokchoy
- (optional) sprinkle on a bit of roasted sesame oil
- serve immediately and enjoy!