Introduction: Custom Painted Playstation 4 Controller
Ever wanted a cool unique and customized Playstation 4 Controller? It's easy with just a few different cans of spray paint! (and a bit patience)
Small Philips Screwdriver
Fine grit sand paper (400 grit)
blue painters tape
Spray paint (colors/brand of your choice)
Clear spray paint (I use Rustoleum clear lacquer)
Step 1: Disassembly
1. Remove 4 screws from back of controller
2. Pull out ribbon connecting the light bar to the main board (with needle-nose pliers)
3. Remove screw under battery
4. Pull out ribbon connecting touch-pad with the main board (with needle-nose pliers)
5. Remove all buttons
6. Remove plastic pieces making up the light bar
7. Remove two screws holding in USB port board.
Step 2: Paint Preperation
1. Lightly sand the outside of the controller with fine grit sand paper (I used 400 grit) be sure to get in all of the crevices. This will help the paint adhere to the surface of the controller and ultimately look nicer.
2. After sanding, rinse the shell in the sink to remove all plastic dust particles
3. Tape inside of the controller with blue painters tape, this is so paint won't get on the inside and will make reassembling the controller 10 times easier.
Step 3: Design/Painting
1. Paint controller a base color of blue
2. Cut out desired design from blue painters tape using xacto knife
3. Apply design to painted controller
4. Paint controller a second color (red in my case)
5. Remove tape
6. Seal with a clear paint such as lacquer
Step 4: Reassembly
1. Retrace steps from disassembly to put back together the controller. Be extra careful in putting replacing the two ribbons. This is where I used the tweezers to guide the ribbons in to place and then pushed them into the sockets with my finger. Everything else should be pretty straight forward!
2. Play! :D