Pictures show technique for cutting very long continuous design on a shopbot.
u will need:
1. CNC Drag Knife, got mine from Tormach.com
2. wooden dowels .75 diameter x2 lengths of 2 inches (for registration between cuts)
3. one long roll of mylar and one long pattern to cut
4. half inch thick poly-carbonate (or any other sturdy material to hold the roll of mylar on the shopbot as it is cut)
5. 2 inch diameter PVC tube x2 pieces 5 feet long
6. .25 inch flat endmill 2 flute
7. 16 strut nuts and bolts for a ShopBot
8. .75 inch thick sheet of MDF
9. can of Scotch Repositionable Spray mount Adhesive low tack like this one
10. ShopBot with Vacume hold down system
see pictures for reference. Technique involves cuting the design in 7 foot sections at a time, using the scotch adhesive and the vacume to hold down the mylar. The wooden dowels help register the design between cuts. over all the technique worked very well.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.