Intro: Cutting and Installing Brick
Hey everyone! I got a request from ERsearch on how to cut a brick without breaking the bank. So, here is a cheap and effective way to cut the brick for your DIY project.
Step 1: Tools and Supplies
4. Measuring Tape
7. Eye protection
8 . Mallet
Step 2: Measure Your Cut
1. Measure both sides of the open area where your cut brick will go.
Step 3: Mark Brick
1. Take your two measurements and mark dots at the lengths you need to cut.
2. Take a ruler and draw a line with a pencil between the two dots.
Step 4: Cut Brick
1. Cut through your line using the ginder. You'll be using a diamond tip. Start at the bottom and work upwards because the brick dust will cover your line.
2. Cut the sides. You'll have a line on each side and need to finish it downwards. Don't worry about it being perfectly straight because only the top of the brick will be seen.
3. Cut the bottom. Flip over your brick and finish the cut. All you have to do is connect those two lines together.
4. The brick is probably still connected in the middle. So, take a hammer and lightly hit on one side of the cut. The unwanted portion of the brick will fall off.
Step 5: Smooth Brick
1. You'll have a bump in the middle of the brick. So, take the edge of the grinder and smooth the middle.
Step 6: Install Brick
1. Test the brick to make sure it fits.
2. Add or remove the plastic cement as needed. Hit the top of the brick with your mallet. Match the edges of the brick to the other brick that has already been set in place.
Step 7: Congratulations!
Congrats! This process does take slightly longer than using a brick saw. However, you'll save money if you have a tight budget. Thanks ERsearch for the recommendation on this instructable. Let me know what you think in the comments and make sure to follow for future diy projects.