Introduction: DANCING OIL (Lava Lamp)
Summer time is fun time. This summer my sister wanted me to do something new and amazing, so that we both can enjoy the summer time. I decided that doing something by using science is going to be more fun. But then I was confused what to do because Science is very beautiful and there are endless ways to mix and match things to do your own experiment. Then I came through an amazing experiment which I am going to tell you today and it is a Lava lamp.
WHAT IS A LAVA LAMP ?
It is transparent electric lamp containing a viscous liquid in which a brightly coloured waxy substance is suspended, rising and falling in irregular and constantly changing shapes. So here instead of a waxy substance I have used oil. It works well.
So I am going to show you how to make dancing oil popularly known as lava lamp. Hape that I have used the easiest way to describe it.
It is going to be a great FUN !!!
Glass/ Transparent jar
Oil (Any type)
Food colour/ Water colour
Aspirin/ Alka-seltzer tablet
Step 1: Pouring Oil
1. The first step is to take a glass. I have took a wine glass you can take any type of glass. If you are using jar it is also a great choice.
2. Then fill half the glass with oil. I have used vegetable oil but any oil will work. You can use according to availability and choice.
Step 2: Pouring Water
1. Now you have to pour water. I have added 3 to 5 spoons of it.
2. Actually the main moving component in this lava lamp is water. So just don't forget to add it.
Step 3: Colourful Step
Colours are an indispensable part of our life !
1. It's time to add colours. I have used red food colour. You can use any colour.
2. Add around 8 - 10 drops of it.
3. You can also add different colours to make it rainbow like.
Note - If you are using water colours then first dissolve them and add 8 - 10 drops of dissolved water colour.
Step 4: Adding the Main Reactor
Now the main part. Are you ready ?
1. I have used an aspirin but you can also use an alka- seltzer tablet.
2. Add one tablet.That is enough.
3. You can also use alka seltzer solution. Just add 1 - 2 teaspoons.
Step 5: FINAL OBSERVATIONS
Boom ! Your glass explodes. Just kidding. It is safe.
1. As soon as you put the tablet in it will start to wobble.
2. Within one or two seconds the oil and water will dance inside the glass. And let me tell you it is so amazing to perform this experiment and the results are fantastic !
So go ahead and make this and don't let the boundaries stop you. Science can be amazing.
It is advised that you perform these with precautions, so that you don't hurt yourself and if you are under 18 do it under the advise of an adult.
So if you liked this please share it with your friends and family, so that they also can enjoy.
SO BEST OF LUCK !!!
I would like to thank instructables and sponsor of the contest to organize such an amazing contest where we can share our unique experience. Thank you so much.