Introduction: Making a Printer Scanner Led Glow Using Only 1.25 V and 0.054 Ma
Objective : to make a small Dc generator powered with a single mini solar panel vimun sc-3012-2a (indoor and outdoor use ) 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, which can make a led glow which provide only 1,25 V X 0.054 ma
Find us ON INSTAGRAM and see a simple electric vehicle - 3 wheels : https://www.instagram.com/sciencetoolbar/
NOTE : if the led is connected directly to the output of the VIMUN mini solar panel It will not work due to the low power.
How to make a 6 - 12 V DC led glow ( from a printer scanner light which can glow RED, GREEN, BLUE depending pins conection) using a mini solar panel VIMUN sc-3012-2a , max 2 V DC output, using the panel inside the house, artificial light the panel is reaching 1,25 V max without load.
Step 1: Materials Used to Make the DC Generator
1. VIMUN SC-3012-2A, 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, 4 cells + voltage rectifier (inside a solar powered flapping toy)
2. neodymium sphere 19 mm diameter
Shape Sphere Diameter 19 mm Tolerance +/- 0,1 mm Coating Chrome-plated (Ni-Cu-Ni-Cr) Manufacturing method sintered Magnetisation N38 Strength approx. 4,9 kg (approx. 48,1 N) Max. working temperature 80°C Weight 27,2943 g Curie temperature 310 °C Residual magnetism Br 12200-12600 G, 1.22-1.26 T Coercive field strength bHc 10.8-11.5 kOe, 860-915 kA/m Coercive field strength iHc ≥12 kOe, ≥955 kA/m Energy product (BxH)max 36-38 MGOe, 287-303 kJ/m³ 19 mm Pollutant-free according to RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU.)
3. iron head ( MAGNETIC HEX HEAD SCREWDRIVER )
4. plastic holder
7. two coils iron less with thin wire (one coilwith thin wire from an old ring bell and the second one ("caption coil " inside the microwave syncronous motor turntable 230 V)
8. led ( inside a printer scanner light ) or a normal led
9. two metal cases with holes ( 2 X Neodymium Pot Magnet with Screw Thread )
10. two screws
11. multimeter ( to identify the polarity - DC voltage for the conection between the led and the rectifier (AC to DC)
12. AC to DC rectifier - inside old phone charger ( Important : if you will not use the rectifier you will obtain AC voltage, and the led blinking)
Step 2: Build the Low Power Consumption Motor (the Rotor of the DC Generator )
1. remove the coil with thin copper wire from the old ring bell.
2. remove the electrical circuit from the powered flapping toy and replace the original air core ( coil ) with the old bell ring coil.
3.remove the neodymium magnets and the original screws from the pot ( refering at2 X Neodymium Pot Magnet with Screw Thread ) , you will obtain two metal cases with holes in the middle.
4. insert the new screws in the metal cases ( the small one and the long one ) and fix them ( you can use a piece of rubber from a conductor/wire).
5.fix the metal cases with screws (magnetic catch) on the neodymium sphere 19 mm diameter
Important fix them on the magnetic poles ( N and S ) for mmaximum high speed motor and align the metal cases for a suitable rotation of the sphere (eliminating oscilations as much as possible)
6. build the plastic holder and fix the sphere (with the long screw up ) by gluing the iron head
Important : there is no friction between the long screw and the MAGNETIC HEX HEAD SCREWDRIVER (iron head) - the long screw placed on the sphere is not touching the iron head !- see the second movie published in this section ( low consumption electric motor test 2 )
Use glass surface - small screw contact !!
7. place the coil (connected to the electronic circuit ) close to the spnere. The sphere will start oscilate and after will start spinning.
Step 3: Build the DC Generator
1. remove the led from the printer scanner light
2. place wires on pin 1 and 4 (refering to the led) you will obtain green light.
3. remove the rectifier (AC to DC) from the old charger
4. remove the coil iron-les from the syncronous motor 230 v (microwave turntable motor )
5. connect the coil iron - less through wires to the voltage rectifier "IN " - no polarity
6. identify the polarity of the rectifier ( "OUT" ) and the led (refering to + and -) using a multimeter on voltage scale.
7. connect the led to the rectifier output respecting the polarity ( +and -)
results : Dc voltage
8. THE GENERATOR IS READY aproach the coil as much as possible to the spinning sphere without touch it!
a sciencetoolbar project. http://sciencetoolbar.com
Step 4: About the Low Consumption Motor Part of DC Generator ( Prototype )
Details regarding low consumption motor - key component of the DC generator :
There are a total of four electrical components. A small solar panel ( VIMUN SC-3012-2A, 29.44mm×11.6mm×1.1mm, 4 cells. The following specifications were listed, 2.0 Vos, 9.0 UAsc, 1.5 Vop, at 200Lux), a 470 uF 10 V electrolytic capacitor, a coil iron less with thin copper wire from a old ring bell) and a small circuit board with a black blob on it.
Under this blob is the integrated circuit chip. It provides the correctly timed pulses to the coil and magnet combination. The integrated circuit is more or less just a low frequency oscillator which runs at approximately 1 Hz most likely driving an open drain NMOS switch ( output on pin 3 ) which periodically connects the coil to the - terminal. The circuit pulses the 18 mH coil causing the neodymium sphere magnet spinning.
1. If the sphere it will be catch in the upper side ( see the firstmovie in this section ) the motor will not touch high performances due to to the friction.
About Generator :
1. Without the Ac to Dc rectifier it will be obtained Ac current. (in the 3-rd presented video in this section, you can see an Ac generator,, I wish to mention that in the 3 rd presented video, the setups are not the sames, but is the same function principle)
2. Using the motor with higher friction in this section (refering at the 2 -nd video presented in this section ) more input power is necesarly (see the size of the solar panels in the presented video in this section )
Participated in the
Make it Glow Contest 2018