Before I started this project, tried a few lights for my product photography what I found at home: desktop lights, 150W halogen reflectors, etc. But none of them are perfect for my needs. :( So I started to search DIY variants to build two lights for myself. I found these, and get the inspiration:
The MacGyver LightBox/Softbox
Cheap Softbox Movie Light
Lamps Set for Objects Photography
Large Photography soft box on the cheap
So, the first thing: I will made something like these, and the second: this will be my first Instructable shared project and I will picture everything what I do!
On the picture is one of my finished lamp, with 4 CFL bulbs (60W=300W), mounted on a big 38" dish....
I need to add 2 more things to these lights:
- nice mount to use with stands
- umbrella holder to use umrella as a diffuser
(so I will update this instructabe soon!)
(Sorry for my english, I'm still not prefrect when I need to write down something, it's easier to speak...)
Step 1: What We Need?
Everything to this project I bought in local chinese shop, that is the cheapest here:
- 38" dish (or bowl?) for kitchen - 2 € ~ 2,6 $
- 22 cm (8,66") griddle (pan, stewpan) for kitchen 2,5 € ~ 3,3 $
- 4 pc. socket for light bulbs - 4x0,5€ = 2 € ~ 2,6 $
- handle (grip) + 4 bolts - 0,5 € ~ 0,6 $
- standard power plug from old PSU - free fo me
- 4 pc. small power switch + cables from old PSU - free for me
- 4 pc. daylight CFL light bulbs (60W=300W) - 4x5€ = 20€ ~ 26,6 $
So let's start!
Step 2: Fit the 4 Sockets Into Dish
First thing to find the places to 4 socket, then take apart the sockets to find out how big hole I need.
Making some small holes to don't make mistakes when drilling.
Using adjustable tool in my drilling machine and drill the holes.
If the hole is not nice enought, use rasp to adjust it...
Do the steps 4 times!
Step 3: Mount the Sockets With the Wires
Disassemle all of the sockets and mount the wires onto them.
Mount all four sockets to the dish with the original bolts.
Step 4: Make the Back Cover From Pan
The make the covering back from griddle:
- Plan the elements on it: holder, swithes, power plug input
(the first plan was 4 switch, but the I got an idea: I need only 3 of them)
- Make the holes for them and mount
- Solder the wires (make sure you make grounding)
Step 5: Finishing
So finish the lamp:
- Mount the holder (what I forgot in last step)
- Connect and solder the wires
(the first switch is swithing one light, the second is switching 2 lights, and the last is switching 1 light -> like this I can choose: 1-2-3 or 4 lights in a same time, to adjust the power of light!)
- Fix the back griddle to the big pan with 4 bolts
- Connect to the wall socket and try your finished project
I need to add two more things:
- umbrella holder in a center of big dish, to have a nice diffuser from pure white chinese child-umbrella (2€ ~ 2,6$)
- add something on a handle to fix the lamp on a stand
So I will update this instructable soon, but I was so excited from my first public project... ;)
I will add pictures of an umbrella too... And I wil try to make some nice pictures whe the lights are on...
I added two more pics of my first light, which is have only one switch, but everything is the same.
This was my first instructable, thanks for reading!
If you have any good idea how to improve it, leave a comment!