Intro: DIY AC 3-Pin Socket Tester
AC 3-Pin Socket Testers are very simple electrical circuit testing tools. Just plug-in the tester and turn on the switch of the socket, the LEDs will detect any probable simple faults that the circuit might have.
- A 10 A 3-pin socket - 1 piece.
- 47K, 1 or 2 W (preferably 2 W) resistors - 3 pieces.
- 1N4007 diode - 3 pieces.
- 5mm LEDs ( Red, Green & Blue) - 1 piece each colour.
- Insulated connecting wires (if required).
- Soldering iron.
- PVC box (optional) [ You can also drill holes into the socket and make everything inside it]
Step 1: Faults to Be Detected
ON ON OFF All OK
ON OFF OFF Missing Earth
OFF ON ON Live-Earth Reversed
ON OFF ON Live-Neutral Reversed
OFF ON OFF Missing Neutral
OFF OFF OFF Missing Live/ Missing Neutral & Earth
Step 2: Schematic
Due to the high heat generated, a 2W resistor is preferred. If the LED glows dim, change the resistor value to a lower value or vice versa.
Step 3: PCB Designing
My PCB is designed using www.easyeda.com .
Make changes according to your needs.
Step 4: Developing PCB
Develop PCBs at www.jlcpcb.com
The PCBs will be provided if you need (contact for buying), but you can develop yours too.
You can omit PCB by directly soldering inside the socket, or use a veroboard.
Contact me on: Gmail: email@example.com
For any queries or discussions.