Introduction: DIY Back Yard Movie Theater
One day I was out gardening and I noticed that my back yard is kind of shaped like an amphitheater. Then I noticed the huge blank windowless area of wall right in the middle of what would be the spectacle of such a venue. So I figured "Why not make a back yard movie theater?" So that's what I did!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Materials
Step 2: The Projector Stand
Materials/supplies for this part:
- An old plastic cutting board (the thick kind, not a floppy one)
- An camera tripod (the sturdier the better)
- 1/4 - 20 NPT nut
- 1/4 - 20 NPT bolt Drill and drill bit set
- 2-part epoxy
To make the cutting board into something that can mount like a camera:
- Drill a 1/4" hole right through the middle of it.
- This is for the threaded part of the bolt to go through.
- To mount the nut into the board, you'll need to drill a second hole centered directly over the first hole.
- This hole should only go about halfway through, as it's going to be the nut's new forever home.
- After the second hole is drilled, press the nut into position.
- It should now sit squarely centered over the small hole.
- Mix up your epoxy or ready the adhesive of your choice and fix the nut to the board.
- Problem: For the tripod shoe, I found that the threaded portion of it wasn't quite long enough to get a good hold on the cutting board threads.
- Solution: Take it apart, drill a hole through the bottom big enough for a 1/4-20 bolt's head to fit through, and then thread the bolt through the nut on the cutting board until snug.
Now you can mount the cutting board (and the projector) onto the tripod in a reliable and sturdy manner :)
I also strap a bungee cord over the top nowadays (ever since the doggies got the zoomies during a movie and almost knocked the thing over!)
Step 3: The Projector Screen
Step 4: Movie Time!!!
Well that's it and I hope someone finds this useful!
I can't wait for the weather to cool off and the nights to roll in a little earlier so the movie nights can resume!
Thanks for checking this out!