Intro: DIY Bookshelf Speakers Stand
I created a model myself, inspired by other models with the Sketch-Up program.
I will share progress with you step by step as much as possible. The speaker base is 18x14 cm in size. Stand size 74 CM (think spike 75 + cm) Cost will not exceed 35$
The appearance of the stand will be like this
PS: Sorry for my poor english.
Step 1: Necessary Materials and Plans
You can download Sketch up file here.
List of Materials:
A list of materials
- 2pcs 40cmx35mx1,8cm massive wood
2pcs 15cmx20cmx1,8cm massive wood
4 pcsof OD:5cmx100cm waste water pipe
2 pcsof 7.5cmx100cm waste water pipe
4 pcs 2cmx70cmx0,3cm printed pollywood chipboard (you can choose any color like)
2 pcs 0,5cmx70cmx0,3cm pollyWood chipboard (same color and desende with the above)
2pcs M8 threaded shaft 100cm
8pcs 8 m8 nuts and 8 pcs m8 washer
2x acrylic Spray . (I bought matt black, Monotype brand)
1pcs Polisan X1 acrylic dye 500gr
1 pcs Abrasive paper (number 400 for wood)
- drill bite
Step 2: Starting With Pipes
First we cut waste water pipes. I measured 70 cm from the tip of the slices and marked the cut with insulated tape. The aim here is to prevent both burrs and to make a correct cut. If you are the only person like me, your vise is your greatest friend;)
We cut 6 pipes as 70 Cm. I recommend that you do the cutting with a Small toothed saw, I use a metal hand saw.
After cutting we take the burrs by sanding very lightly.and remove tape.
- If there are pipes, remove the labels and wipe them with a wet cloth; We clean the adhesive residues, dust, dirt, hair, etc.,
- Hang all pipes as not to touch the ground. And start to paint with spray.
- After the first coat is dry, paint the second coat. Each floor 5 - 10 min. Also drying.
- There will be whiteness in a few places on the pipes, we will paint them again after drying them by one push spraying them again
- We can not paint two 7.5-cm pipes(its your choose)
Step 3: Construction of Upper and Lower Tables and Paint.
- We are draw the tables in the order from the corner to the corner. Based on intersection points, we find the midpoint by drawing from the center of the opposite edges.
- Based on intersection points, we find the midpoint by drawing from the center of the opposite edges.
- I have drawn 4 tables in total as 2 lower tables and 2 upper tables
I drilled the pilot holes with the thinnest wooden drill bit in the middle to the intersection of the lines,
At this stage we will use a leaf drill to hidestamps and nuts I'd recommend number 18. 2/4 thickness is enough. Measure by nut
I glued the pipes together using hot silicone. Silicone is applied immediately, is transparent and does not leave garbage.
I use Polisan X1 in this step.
It takes 6 hours to dry between paint. I appyl it on the 2nd paint, even though it was enough.(more up to you)
By the way make U type with printed pollywood with hot slicone.
use 2pcs 2cmx70cmx0,3cm and 1 pcs 0,5cmx70cmx0,3cm for each stand..
Step 4: Mounting
We install the threaded shaft on the bottom plate. The threaded shaft is the element to carry the actual load. It's important to be rigid and sturdy.
- We glue the bottom surfaces of the pipes and glue them as they are in the photo.
- Black painted pipes should be parallel to the front line at the same level. The front will be 6, 5 cm.
- It will be 6.5 inches from the back. The cuts I made were not exactly flat, I filled the open areas with oblique silicon.
- When glue is dry. insert U pollywood profile to waste pipe. profile edge match withtangent to the pipe diameter
We are inserting 5 cm from the top / bottom of the middle point with the leaf pin for cable hole
Before installing the top tables. We leave it dry for 1 day.
I put sticky felt under the stand.Spike is must usefull. but I do not have atm.
In this phase, we fill the inside of the pipes passing through the shaft with sand. The sand will help us to balance weight and prevent vibration.
I put the bubble pack nylon in the PVC like the photo in order to get the job done without sand filling. This is step for lock sands in pipe. I can not overflow now :)
I fill the pipe via sand. Also you can cat sand, rice etc. He must be grain. The aim is only to prevent vibration and give weight.
I made a cover with cardboard on the sand. And I fixed it with hot silicone on the contact surface with PVC pipe.
I pass the cables in the holes.
I placed the top plate parallel to the edges and tightened it with the nut from the top.
We do not Glue Top taple. Just tight the nuts. Affer If you want you can use little hot glue .
Step 5: Done!!!
Our stand is ready.
You can use Angle Brackets for stady your speakers.
greetings from Turkey.