There are various compost bins in the market these days.But those bins attract flies and they give out bad smell too.So I created a bin that can be completely closed to get rid of flies and terrible smell.But it is created in such a way that the micro-organisms won't be harmed.So enough talking and let's start making this.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- Hack saw
- Measuring tape
- Hole saw cutter
- 4mm drill bit
- 100L black bin with lid
- 65L bin
- Plastic bowl (approx. diameter of 460mm)
- Small black plastic flower pot (approx. diameter of 230mm)
Black is important becuase the inside of the setup should be dark.And also black colour apsorbs the heat in the sorrounding.Heat is also a important factor for microbial growth.
Step 2: Drill It Out
Drill the plastic bowl,the flower pot and the 65L bin.*Don't try to drill neatly because it will waste your precious time :)
*Don't drill the upper part of the flower pot if you do the smell will come out.
Step 3: Cutting It Out
- Cut out a hole with 197mm diameter in the 100L bin.
- Cut out a hole with 180mm diameter in the 65L bin.
Cut the bottom/base of the flower pot
So why should we cut the holes in these two bins in different sizes.It is to fit the flower pot perfectly in between these two bins.
*The sizes may differ with what you use.
Step 4: Dig a Hole in Your Yard
- First of all select a place in your yard that will get strong sunlight.
- Then dig a hole which is 2 inches higher than the hieght of your plastic bowl. (big enough to fit your bowl)
- Now put some soil with good fertility level (about 2cm thick)
Step 5: Place the Setup
- First place your bowl
- Then place your 65L bin
- Place your 100L bin over it
- Now fit your customized flower pot between the bins
Just as easy as it looks :)
Step 6: Cover It Up
- Just cover the excess space of the hole neatly.
Step 7: Done
Hooray, you just created your own customized compost bin.
- Now you can open it by just putting some kitchen wastes :)