Introduction: DIY Functional Cookie Fidget Spinners
Watch the video to see how to make a working fidget spinner out of vanilla cookies.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients Needed:
You will need the following:
- 2.5 Cups of Flour
- 3/4 of Sugar
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 2 tsps of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbs cream cheese, room temp,
- Royal icing
- Bottle Cap
Step 2: Mixing
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix until small crumbs form and it is shiny
- Add your Vanilla Extract and Cream Cheese
- Mix until large clumps forms, then remove from bowl.
- Knead dough until it is a uniform consistency and elastic. Form a ball, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins
Step 3: Cutting Your Cookies
- Remove the dough from the fridge
- Roll your dough out to 1/4 inch thickness with a rolling pin
- Place a fidget spinner on your dough -- press slightly to outline the center cap
- Hold in place and use a knife to cut our our cookie (About 8 of them)
- Using the same dough at 1/4 inch thick, use a bottle cap to cut out double the amount of fidget spinners ( this will be your caps.
Step 4: Cutting Your Bearings
- Roll your dough back into a ball
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/2 inch or slightly larger
- Take a straw and press firmly through the dough to make your bearing
- Be careful not to deform the bearing upon removal from straw or handling
- Make one for each fidget spinner
Step 5: Final Cutting Steps
- Place your cookie cut outs on to your baking sheet on parchment paper
- Using the same straw ( in the center of the fidget spinners) press the straw down and rotate in a circular motion to make the hole slightly larger than the straw.
- Preheat your oven to 350 -- Cooking the cookies for 12-15 mins or golden brown. (Remove bearings after 6-7 mins)
Step 6: Decorating and Assembly
- After Baking, allow the cookies to cool
- Using your icing decorate the cookies however you wish, coloring the spinner, and 2 caps -- Allow to dry
- Once dry take one cap and one bearing -- placing a dab if icing on the back of the cap, place the bearing center on the cap and allow to dry.
- Once dry place the bearing through the center of the spinner and place a dab of icing on top of the bearing. Place the final cap on the top of the bearing.
Step 7: Final
- Once dried, --PLAY your new cookies should be fully functional and COOL!