This is a simple guide to make a paper weight. Follow 10 steps to make a cute DIY Donut Paper weight!
Step 1: Materials
To make a Donut paper weight you will need:
- Air drying clay (I used Daiso clay)
- Polymer clay (I used FIMO)
- Acrylic paint. The colours: pink, light brown, dark brown, white and any other vibrant colours you wish to use.
- A palette
- White glue.
- Sculpting tools (basically a knife used to cut clay)
- Scissors *OPTIONAL
Step 2: Making the Shape of the Donut
- Take some air drying clay and roll it into a ball.
- Flatten the shape using the palm of your hand.
- Use a little bit of water to smoothen out the donut.
Step 3: Making the Donut Pt.2
- Use a pencil or paintbrush to make a hole in the middle of the donut.
- Make the hole bigger until your shape looks like a donut.
Step 4: Covering the Donut.
- Roll out a piece of air drying clay (Daiso isn't the best for this so i suggest using some other brand)
- Drape the piece on top of the donut
- Cut a hole in the centre where the middle of the donut is.
- Cut around the edges.
Step 5: The Icing
- Roll out another circle.
- Cut out large drips on the edges.You should get a shape that looks like the one in the picture.
- Drape the icing onto the donut and 'glue' it on using water.
Step 6: Making the Sprinkles
- Take a piece of polymer clay roll in into a long snake.
- Use a sculpting tool or a pair of scissors to cut the 'snake' into small pieces. These are the sprinkles.
- Place the sprinkles on some tin foil and let them harden in the oven for maximum 20 minutes at 230 F/110
- Paint the sprinkles in different colours to make classic donut rainbow sprinkles.
Step 7: Adding Colour
- To make the base colour, mix together dark brown, light brown and some white. Add some glue to the paint to ensure that it sticks to the clay.
- Take a paintbrush and paint the base of the donut (including the inside)
Step 8: The Icing
- For the icing, mix some glue into pink paint.
- Take a brush and paint the icing.
- When the pink paint is still wet, place the sprinkles on the icing.
Step 9: Final Glaze
- Once the paint is completely dry, take some Mod Podge and paint over the whole donut to seal it in.
Step 10: !DONE!
Your DIY Donut paper weight is finished.