Introduction: DIY Kids Mushroom Table and Toad Stools Updated
A while back I had the fun opportunity to build a Kid size Mushroom Table and Toad Stools set for one of my clients. She had found something similar online but it wasn’t quite right, kind of expensive and she still had to ship it. This is my take on the stools and tables available out there. I do not imply my design is completely original. This is simply my version. I apologize as I have misplaced my original sketch with the dimensions. (UPDATED! I found my original sketch! See below for correct dimension!) I have lots of reference pictures from each step. I will attempt to guess at the dimensions. The shape and use allows for a lot of design flexibility. Adapt it any way you see fit!
Safety first! Protect your eyes, ears, wear gloves, and wear a filter mask. Wear a cup if you need it! Always work safe. Don’t rush!
Things you will need:
¾” Plywood ( I had lots of small pieces from other projects I was able to use)
Spackling and Caulk
Water base Poly
Compass or something to trace to make the circles
Pocket hole jig
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1
(Updated! Please reference design sketch on first page for correct dimensions!) I remember that the stools were approx. 13” tall and 12” across. I started by Cutting nice and square pieces 12 ¼” tall for the base. For my project I wanted the mushrooms to look chunky so I doubled the thickness. You need two of every piece. I cut them nice and square initially so they wouls sit level on the floor and the top would be level when the seat was attached. The sides were less important. In face I wanted them to have a more natural random shape. Once I had my first board cut, I hand sketched the shape I thought would look nice for the sides of the mushroom. I cut the sides off with my jigsaw. I then used that as a template for all the other pieces. You need 16 total.
The table followed the same general pattern. It was just larger. I believe it was approx. 22” tall and the top approx. the same.
Once all the halves are cut, I simple slathered them with glue and used wood screws to piece them together. Don’t place any screws in the direct middle (I’ll explain later.
The top of each stool was made in a similar fashion. I used a compass to draw the 12” circle for each piece and cut them out with a jig saw. You need eight total. Once the circles are all cut glue and screw all two halves together.
For the table my compass was too small. I finally settled on tracing a trash can base After that the steps are the same as above.
Step 2: Step 2
I filled all cracks and screw holes with spackling. I needed to round over and smooth all the edges on the base pieces. I used a round over bit in the router to save time. The seams were rough where I joined the pieces. I bought a sanding wheel to use in my drill press. FAIL. It wore out quickly and was darn near impossible to reload. I ended up sanding with a palm sander and by hand.
I then took four of the stool halves and cut approximately 1.5” of material from the center of each top to bottom. These would then be attached to the whole pieces to make the stool base. I held a half on top of a whole side and traced lines on each side so I knew where they should go. I drilled guide holes in the center of the space. I then smeared the area with glue and place a cut half against it. I held it steady and ran screws through the holes to fasten the pieces together. I then used my pocket hole jig on the other cut piece and attached it with glue and screws to the opposite side. I filled all new screw holes with spackling. Once dry I sanded them flush. Repeat with all remaining base pieces.
I turned the tops upside down and centered the bases upside down on them. I then traced the base onto the top. I drilled pilot holes inside the space. I smeared glue on the base top, set the seat upright on the base and ran several screws through the top of the seat to fasten the pieces together. Fill the holes and sand flush.
Step 3: Step 3
Everything was primed. I painted all the bases the same off white crème color. I painted each seat top a different color. Once dry I added some “cracking” lines to the tops to give it a more “mushroomy” look. The bottoms of the bases were too plain so I added a little black to my base color to shade it. I topped that with a muted yellow craft paint to soften the look.
The table base was big enough it needed extra detail. I added some grass and bugs etc. to make it a little more special. Each side had a different bug on it to keep it fun.
Everything was covered with three coats of clear gloss water poly to seal it and bring out the color. Well that’s about it.
I hope this was helpful. I look forward to your comments and questions!