Intro: Homemade LED Strip Out of Scratch
This is my first tutorial on Instructables.
Expect more from me.
- This project is now on LED's contest.
Vote for this project so I can at least win a T-Shirt :D
Step 1: Things You Need
Scalpel, Scissors, needle, paper tape for wood, insulation tape,
MOLEX connector (you can get one from old PC fan)
2 x 1 meter of stranded wire from internet cable (optional)
6 pieces of LED's in various color, each LED is about 10 cents in dollar store.
Step 2: Making the Strip
You can customize this step but this is the simplest way.
1. place one layer of insulation tape.
2. place one layer of paper tape over the insulation tape.
3. place one layer of insulation tape over paper tape.
4. cut the sides.
Step 3: Making Holes, Inserting LED's, Connecting All to PC
One LED's voltage is approximately 2 volts.
MOLEX connector gives 12 volts so you can put 6 LED's to work properly.
1. Make holes for two LED's "legs" every 3 centimeters (1.18 inches), but between "legs" make it smaller to allow LED to fit properly.
2. After you made all holes, insert LED's and spread their first and last "leg"
3. You can see on the picture how to connect it.
4. Connect the red(brown) wire to longer leg of LED, and the black(white) one to the short.
4,5. (optional step) You can extend cable by adding that wires from internet cable. Just connect brown to red, and white to black wire of MOLEX connector.
5. Insert MOLEX connector to the PC MOLEX connector.
Step 4: Finishing
You can glue it to PC's back or you can put it in the PC which is better looking if you have transparent PC case.
With extended cable you can put it on the wall.
NOTE "It will only work when PC is on"
Have a nice day.