Intro: DIY Lip Scrub
A big problem for a lot of people (especially in the winter season) is dry lips. Sometimes, just lip balm isn't cutting it. There are several ways our lips get dry and cracked, but it can easily be helped. Creating this lip scrub with items you most likely already own in your home can save your lips, just by taking a few minutes out of your day to put a few ingredients together. (This DIY is also much more affordable than going out and purchasing a lip scrub on your own, and you can be far more creative by doing this yourself.)
Step 1: What You Need
To make any lip scrub, you're going to need:
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp olive oil*
- any extract/essential oil flavor you are choosing (for the purpose of this, I am choosing peppermint extract)
- (optional) food coloring
- small jar or container (to hold your scrub)
(RECOMMENDED: Perfect-sized containers can be found at Bed Bath and Beyond in the travel section! Other ingredients should be easily found at local grocery store.)
*An alternative for olive oil could be coconut oil, as some people prefer it over olive oil.*
Step 2: Creating the Lip Scrub
To actually create your lip scrub, follow the steps below.
1. Measure out your sugar and olive oil (or coconut oil) and stir until well blended.
2. Add a drop or two of your extract/flavor.
3. (If you are not adding food coloring, you can ignore this step.) Add a drop or two of a food coloring of your choice.
4. Scoop mixture into a small container/jar and be sure your container can be tightly sealed.
5. Enjoy your lip scrub!
Step 3: How to Use Your Lip Scrub
In case you weren't already familiar with how to use a lip scrub, here is how:
To use your lip scrub, rub it onto your lips using your finger and rub your lips together. This exfoliates your lips to keep them soft, even in the harsh winter weather. You can wipe away or rinse off your lip scrub (or lick it off, if you want to), then apply a lip balm afterwards for moisture and protection. Using this often shows very good results on your lips and really helps prevent dryness.