This is just a simple build using an old .50 cal ammo case and a combination trigger lock. I built it to keep all of our ammunition safe while we are in the woods. It is a quick project, only taking about 30 minutes excluding drying time.
This is not my design, I originally saw this done at the Burlington Rifle and Revolver Club (BRRC), and they used it to store all of the .22 ammunition for youth target practice on Saturdays. I like the design because it is simple and uses pre-made and easily available parts. It is a safe and secure way to store ammunition at home or on the go and is very convenient because you never have to worry about loosing your keys!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
- an ammo case
- a trigger lock
- a drill and drill bits
- an x-acto knife
- metal files
- masking tape
- lots of epoxy
Step 2: Drilling
This is the easiest part of this build. I used a 1/2" drill bit, after pre-drilling with several smaller bits, to create a hole for the trigger lock to fit through. I filed the rough edges smooth and widened out the hole just a bit so there was more clearance.
Step 3: Pre-Glueing Prep
Firstly, remove any rubber pieces that are loosely attached to the insides of your trigger lock. These will prevent the epoxy from solidly bonding the lock to the case, which is important because you cannot hold the back end of the lock in place while the case is closed.
After any loosed parts are gone, mask off all the moving parts. it is important to cover any gaps because if epoxy can seep into the mechanics of the lock it will be permanently disabled.
Step 4: Gluing
Time to use up nearly half a syringe of epoxy! I placed a lip of masking tape along the bottom of the trigger lock to keep the epoxy from dripping while I placed it in the hole, and then filled the areas that would be in contact with the case with epoxy. After the trigger lock was in place I added more epoxy around the edges to seal it on completely and held it in place until everything dried. Probably a good idea to use 5 minute epoxy instead of the slow drying stuff.
Step 5: Making More Clearance
After the epoxy had set, I removed the masking tape and tested the fit. Unfortunately, the lock was slightly to the right of the hole I had drilled. So I grabbed some metal files and widened the hole until the lock fit.
Step 6: Painting
Now that everything fit together, I painted the lid of the case blaze orange so that it cant get lost in the woods.
Thanks for reading my instructable, hopefully it comes in handy!
Step 7: Update
After a bit of use, the epoxy eventually gave in and broke off. If the case is already locked it is still secure, because the lock is still held together, however this makes it impossible to use the case after removing the lock because it is impossible to hold the back end of the lock in place inside of the box while locking.
So I gave up on epoxy, and decided to make something a little sturdier.
Unfortunately I didn't take any photos while making the repair, but it's pretty simple. I drilled two holes in the tin and two holes in the backing part of the lock, making sure not to damage the mechanism. I drilled the holes so that they were aligned, and then all you have to do is use two nuts and bolts to fasten the lock more permanently to the can. If you wanted to make it as secure as possible, you could use red loktite on the treads or , if you used steel hardware, you could weld the front and back end of each bolt to keep it from going anywhere. I personally just left the hardware bare, and so far no more issues.
Hope that this fixes any problems!
Participated in the
Instructables Outdoor Projects Contest