Introduction: DIY: Macramé Necklace
This DIY shows you how to make an easy and nice-looking necklace for a reasonable price.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Need:
- Hemp or hemp-like thread
- Measure how long you want the necklace to be, by holding it around your neck at the preferred length. Add some extra length so that you have enough to close it with.
- The thread that goes on the “outside” of the necklace will be fairly long, approximately 7,5 – 8 meters.
Step 2: How to Do the Knots:
- Start by making a normal knot with a small loop on top.
- Start on the right side by letting the longest thread go over the two shorter threads in the middle.
- Take the thread to the left over the thread that you put across the threads in the middle.
- Take the same thread (the left thread) under the shortest threads.
- Continue with the same thread by putting it through the opening made by the right thread.
- Tighten by pulling the two longest threads to form a knot. There will be a little ”lump” on the left side.
- Then you do the same step over again. It is important to start the knot from the same side every time to get it swirly.
- Repeat this as many times you feel like it before you put on a bead. It is a good idea to measure the length if you want the beads to be the same length apart from each other.
Step 3: Putting on a Bead:
- Thread the bead on to the two shortest threads and bring it up to where you have braided.
- Do the same knot as before; just remember to do it under the bead.
- Tighten and continue braiding till the next point where you want to put a new bead.
Step 4: Finishing It:
- To finish the necklace, you take the two shortest threads and put them through the loop and inside the knot. Continue braiding till the closing-thread is secured.
- To tighten the two longest threads you can do a normal knot on each of the sides. Try to get it as close to the necklace as possible, to make it look as nice as possible.
- Cut of loose threads, but not too close to the knots as they can loosen.
Step 5: Finished Product:
The necklace should then look something like this.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my Instructable and maybe trying it out yourselves.
1 Person Made This Project!
- themadcatlady made it!