Introduction: DIY Ninja Nail-arang | Homemade Shuriken (Video)
In this project I'll show you how you you can put together a Ninja style shuriken using only some steel nails, electrical tape and some welding.
If you don't prefer to read, you can skip it and watch the video instead where I have explained all the steps in detail. If you do, then continue reading the written steps along with pictures in the following steps. Find out more similar projects and gadget reviews on my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/miibooth
Let's move to the first step to see what you'll need.
Step 1: Get Started
To start, you need a couple of Hardened steel nails from your hardware store. I'm using ones which are about 7cm long
- Eventually we need to weld them in a star shape but we need some help with that.
- So first I placed them in a star shape and found out that one side of the internal pentagon is about 3.3cm. So i made a pentagon template in photoshop with each side 3.3cm and printed it out.
- Next I cut out the template and stuck in on a piece of wooden block with glue.
- Then I took the nails and pressed them slightly into the pattern with a hammer. This left little dents of the whole nails especially where the heads go.
- Finally I applied a little glue (basic paper glue is fine) to each nail and placed it in its slot.
- Then I left it with some weight on the top for it to dry so I can easily transport it and weld it without the nails moving.
Step 2: Welding and Painting
- Once the nails were dry, I lifted the weight and took them to the welding shop where the expert precisely welded the joints while the nails were on the template.
Oh, And I also made two more versions. One with 4 nails and the other with 6 nails just to see which one will work best.
- After welding, I gave all of them a matte black coat of spray paint.
- They still seemed a little incomplete so I came up with something interesting for the next step.
Step 3: Make 'em Look Good!
- I wrapped black and white electrical tape on the centers of all of them and then added some Yin Yang design with a black marker and white ink. This will improve the aerodynamics while giving it that authentic Martial Art-ish look.
With this the Nail-A-Rangs are done and ready to shoot.
Move over to the next step to see how they worked.
Step 4: Testing and Verdict!
Well, they worked Exactly as I had imagined them in my head...Just perfect!
And the 4 and 5 nail version worked better than the 6 nails one.
Just the right amount of weight and sharpness. Enough to pierce cardboard, wood, and soda cans.
If you wanna see the action with more clarity, watch the video in the first step.
If you liked this project, please share it with your friends and family.
Check out my other instructables on my profile page
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/miibooth
- Follow me on Instructables @ MiiBooth
- Like my page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/miibooth
- Follow me on twitter @MiiBooth
- Follow me on Instagram @MiiBooth