I had an old chinese sewing machine which is broken. I thought to make pcb mini drill press with it. I also placed LED's so as to use it in darkness also. It works with 12v DC. It can drill PCB as well as wood. It is very cheap and made with scrap material except motor.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts Needed
- Old Sewing machine
- PCB drill motor http://www.banggood.com/12V-Small-PCB-Drill-Press-Drilling-With-1mm-Drill-p-929516.html?rmmds=myorder
- LED strip
- Old pens
- Pen caps
- Washers, Screws
- Hot glue
- 6MM MDF
- Binding wire
Step 2: Disassemble Sewing Machine
- Disassemble sewing machine and remove all the internal parts except switches and DC jack.
- Cut the front portion as shown in picture.
Step 3: Base Plate for Motor
Cut 6MM MDF and hot glue it to the sewing machine as shown.
Step 4: Sliding Mechanism
- Cut the caps on one side so that pen can slide easily.
- Attach pen caps to the motor base plate with hot glue.
Step 5: Spring
- Wind binding wire across a bold pen and make 2 springs.
- Screw washers to one end of the pens and insert spring as shown in pictures.
- Insert the pens to caps and check for free sliding.
- Trim the pens to desired length.
Step 6: Base Plate
Glue a plastic sheet.
Step 7: Motor Fixing
- Drill holes to the MDF and tie motor with zip tie.
- Apply hot glue.
Step 8: Motor Fitting
- Screw the motor to pen's as mentioned earlier.
- Apply hot glue.
Step 9: Making Handle
- Drill a hole to one end of the pen so that we can fix the pen to base plate.
- Fix the pen to MDF so that when we press the handle, motor should move downwards.
- Fix a plastic piece at the center as shown in picture.
Step 10: LED
Take LED strip and attach beneath the motor as shown.
Step 11: Wiring
Wire the motor and LED's through switches.
Step 12: Final Product
Our pcb mini drill press is ready to use. Power it with 12v Battery.
Make it, Use it, Enjoy.
Participated in the
Build a Tool Contest 2017