Introduction: DIY: Plastic Scraper
I received a bunch of old quality furniture from my grandfather’s estate, and while it is very nice stuff, it has some wear and the color/ finish SCREAMS 60's/70's. Being that I can obviously afford a $2.96 plastic scraper from (insert home improvement store name here)
I chose to build my own. Hey why not?! I have all the materials lying around. The best part about this project is the ability to custom make a scraper to contour to the curves and shapes of your furniture. Enjoy, and as always please vote/ rate as you see fit thanks!
Step 1: Step 1: Materials
Cheap scrap wood (or other strengthening support)
2 part epoxy
putty knife (to trace around)
Step 2: Step 2: Tracing and Shaping
1. Take your putty knife and lay it on your plexiglass, with a sharpie trace the outline to the plexiglass.
2. Using a band saw, cut the outline you trace out.
3. On a belt sander, clean your edges.
4. Give the scraper an edge, I went around 30-35 degrees. Be extra careful on this step, it is easy to get carried away and grind an uneven edge. It is best to be patient and check your work often.
5. Cut your wood or chosen support piece and round it on a belt sander.
6. Bevel the support to give it a comfortable grip.
Step 3: Step 3: Gluing and Finishing
- Remove the protective covering from the plexiglass.
- Rough up the plexi where you will adhear the support to.
- Clean roughed up area
- Mix epoxy throughly and apply generously to support and plexi. ( may need to use gloves)
- Clamp together and allow time to set.
- After it has bonded remove clamps and do any finish sanding and hole drilling now.
- Apply wood finish and allow time to cure.
Step 4: Final Thoughts
I realize that applying a wood finish to something that was built with the intent of removing wood finishes seems futile, and it is. But hey, it looks good and works even better. If you have any questions or comments please ask.
*UPDATE* - Used it and it held up well! the epoxy and finish did not get eaten. Does what it is supposed to.
Participated in the