Hi all ,On this Instructable will show you how to create a powerful diy Solder Fume Extractor with dual fans, this project is completely made out from scrap.
You know what? breathing solder fumes is dangerous to health!
How many of you are aware of lead poison?
"Lead is used in the soldering process in the form of lead/silver filler metals. When heated, lead oxide fumes are formed. Excessive exposure to lead oxide fumes can result in lead poisoning. Symptoms include loss of appetite, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, constipation, headache, abdominal cramps, nervousness, and insomnia. Lead is absorbed through the mucous membranes of the lung, stomach, or intestines and then enters the bloodstream"
This simple project can solve those problems,here working is divided into two section the larger fan will absorb all fumes into filter and smaller fan will pump out filtered fume you can drive out using pvc pipes.
Please go threw all picture for better understanding .
Step 1: Parts List
- An empty can
- Large fan
- Small fan
- Led (optional)
- Sponge to filter denser fumes (prefer thicker one ,the one i used has 1inch thickness)/Use carbon Fume Extractor Filters for better result.
- Power switch
- Potentiometer (to control fan speed/ on and of)
- Any type of dc connector (both male and female)
- 12v power source (can be batter or wall adapter)
Step 2: Making the Case
- Mark dimension of small fan on the bottom , and cut threw it
- Luckily my larger fan fit at open side of the can .
- Make holes where you wanna place switches
- Cut sponge to the same dimension of the can.
Step 3: Assembly/ Wiring
- Fix the small fan
- Add and connect female dc jack with potentiometre
- Glue the sponge at middle of the can
- Add led strip
- Place the switch and do all the connection
- Hot glue and seal larger fan on top.
Circuit is provided at last image of this step.
Step 4: Done!!/ Video
Hooray! now i can stop inhaling all deadly fumes while soldering ,this guy is so aggressive and working so efficient.
As time was limited i couldn't make an stand for it .
I recommend you guys to make something like this and be healthy,
Here is the video of this device in action here.
If you i like this project like it and vote .