Download the pdf for detailed step by step tutorial with photos
Step 1: WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 Meter of medium to heavy stretch Jersey fabric
- Sewing machine
- Tape measure
- 1meter of 1 inch wide elastic band
- Coordinating thread
Step 2: PREPARE YOUR MACHINE
1. Thread your machine and bobbin with co-ordinating threads.
2. Set stitch length to 2.5cm.
3. Set tension to 3
4. Test on a piece of your fabric to make sure the tension is right, if it is right when you sew the fabric, your
stitches will lay flat and if is it too tight it will pull the fabric and pucker up as you sew. Make necessary
adjustments before starting this project.
Step 3: TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS and TRANSFER TO FABRIC
1. Measure around your waist
2. Measure from your waist to the length of the skirt (How long you want the skirt to be)
Transfer the Measurements
Cut out a rectangle with the dimensions. Make sure the fabric stretches horizontally (see image)
Length= WAIST TO LENGHT OF SKIRT
*** Make sure the stretch is on the width
Step 4: CUT THE FABRIC
Next fold the fabric in half on the width and cut across the fold.
Then cut the fabric on the marked points and unfold. (See image)
Step 5: SEWING THE SKIRT
Next place RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER and sew along using a straight stitch the marked lines as
shown in the diagram.
** If your cutting was not very straight like mine :) try to sew as straight as you can.
Next transfer your waist measurement on the elastic band, remember NO seam allowance
because of the stretch.
Step 6: ADDING THE WAIST BAND
- Next transfer your waist measurement on the elastic band, remember NO seam allowance because of the stretch.
- Then overlap 1/2” the ends and pin as shown in the image.
- Then join using a ZIG ZAG Stitch.
- Next place the elastic band on the skirt and pin as shown in the image.
Next sew along the top edge with a Zig Zag stitch as shown in the image.
Next fold over...
And pin down
Then sew around with a ZIG ZAG stitch, as close the edge as possible.
Step 7: The HEM
- Measure 1inch from the bottom of the Skirt
- Then press down
- Then Using A Zig zag stitch, sew along the hem as close to the edge as possible.
Step 8: FINISHING UP
For a professional finish steam press all your seams down
If you have a serger you can overlock or zig zag the raw edges in the skirt but it is not
compulsory as Jersey does not fray easily.
And Voila you are done :).