Introduction: DIY Signal Light Gun
In sometimes, sailors or air traffic controller will use light signal to communicate with another ship or aircraft by signal light gun. This project is DIY a signal light gun for Morse code or ground to air light signal training. You can select the red, green or white colour light signal by selector and transmitting by trigger.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Materials & Tools
The materials & tools I used are listed in following:
Empty can X 1
Strip board X 1
Binder clip X 1
Power Putty X 1
AAA battery holder X 1
Micro switch with level X 1
Rotary selector switch X1
Cable tie X 2
AAA battery X3
LED light bulb with holder X3 (Green, Red & White)
Heat shrink tube
Step 2: Step 2: Barrel
1. Soldering the wires and LED light bulbs, reserve enough wires for wring between bulbs and strip board.
2. Drilling a small hole at the bottom of empty can and fix the bulbs with Power Putty
3. Let the wires through the hole, I recommend that heat shrink tubing the wires after wiring to protect the wires and make it tidy.
Step 3: Step 3: Circuit Board
1. According the circuit diagram, soldering and wiring the micro switch, rotary selector switch & battery holder on the strip board.
2. The strip board is the grip of your gun, and micro switch is the trigger.
Step 4: Step 4: Assembly
1. Clamp the circuit board by binder clip and fix these with Power Putty, the binder clip will become a “Barrel Holder”.
2. Mount and tie the Barrel on the barrel holder
3. Connecting the wires between circuit board & bulbs
Step 5: Step 5: Testing
Insert battery, select the light colour by rotary switch and transmit your message by micro switch!