Baymax, the loveable, puffy marshmallow-looking robot from "Big Hero 6", is a great project for people with fairly basic sewing skills, I think. I made this as a gift for a friend and she loved it! She said it was super huggable.
Step 1: Materials and Pattern
You will need:
- white fabric. I used 1/2 yard of white fleece, but had plenty left over. You could also use white fake fur fabric or an old white t shirt if it's suitably soft. Remember you are going for maximum huggability to match Baymax's character.
- polyester batting/stuffing. Again, you could use cut up fabric strips, but I recommend batting/stuffing for maximum snuggliness.
- paper or thin cardstock for the pattern. I cut up a file folder. and a pen or marker
- white thread, either normal thread or embroidery floss.
- black embroidery floss.
- two black buttons.
- a long needle. they're called doll needles. but I think you will be able to make it work with whatever needle you have.
- optional: pins
Step 1: sketch out a head, body, arms, and legs for Baymax. Cut out. place on top of the fabric and cut out the pieces. Pin the pattern to the fabric for maximum accuracy. Whatever size you are envisioning for this toy, make sure you make the pattern slightly bigger.
Step 2: Face
Using the black embroidery floss, sew a black button, then embroider a mouth, then sew the other black button. Face placement: I recommend placing it closer to the center of the head than I did in the picture. Flip the face inside against the other face piece and sew the head together, leaving the neck unsewn, using the over stitch. flip rightside out and fill with stuffing.
Step 3: Body and Limbs
Sew the body together, using the over stich, leaving a small opening at the neck. Flip rightside out and stuff. Attach the head to the neck and sew together using the straight stitch. For the arms, sew together leaving a small opening where the arm will meet the body, flip rightside out and stuff, then attach with the straight stitch. Repeat the same process with the legs.
Step 4: Ta Da!
This cuddly friend is now ready to go! Makes a great gift.