Introduction: DIY Zombie Frappuccino
Starbucks recently came out with the Zombie Frappuccino and, of course, I needed to try it and then make it myself. It's very simple as it's just a caramel apple drink (no coffee) with a red dyed chocolate sauce and pink dyed whipped topping so I quickly whipped one up and wanted to share how I did it!
Step 1: Supplies
This recipe is a single serving and makes about 16oz.
- 2c ice
- 3/4c milk - I recommend whole milk but use whatever you prefer
- 1 Tbsp caramel syrup / or 1 Tbsp caramel sauce
- 2 Tbsp Green Apple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp simple syrup (or 3 tbsp of sugar, but simple syrup blends in better)
- Pink whipped topping - see next step
- Red chocolate sauce - see next step
- Pinch of Xantham Gum (optional)
- Green food coloring (optional if you want the drink greener)
If you don't have or can't find green apple syrup, you can also try replacing 1/4c of the milk with apple juice. I can't guarantee the results will be the same though.
Step 2: Pink Brain Topping and Red Blood Chocolate Sauce
Pink Brain Whipped Topping
You will need:
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- Red food coloring (I also added 1 drop of blue food coloring to give it a darker look)
You can also add in either (the Starbucks version didn't have a flavored whip topping, but I thought it would be fun to give it a chocolate flavor):
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp White Chocolate Torani and 1 Tbsp sugar
Mix together and whip until you get stiff peaks. It helps if the whipping cream is very cold.
Red Blood Sauce
Just mix some regular old chocolate sauce with a couple drops of red food coloring. It actually doesn't take that much food coloring to give it a red color.
Prepare both of these and keep them in the fridge until you are ready.
Step 3: Blend and Assemble
Blend together all your frappuccino ingredients and, if you want, a couple drops of green food coloring.
Before putting your drink together, start by getting your whipped topping ready by either putting it right in a zip lock bag and snipping the corner, or get a zip lock bag ready with the Wilton 2D pipping tip and Coupler. I went with the piping tip for that extra special look.
When everything is ready, start by putting your red chocolate sauce along the inside top of the glass. You don't need to make it drip down, it will do that on its own soon enough.
Fill your glass with your blended frappuccino beverage.
Top with your homemade whipped topping. Instead of going in circles, I recommend going back and forth and try to make it look more like a brain.
Step 4: Enjoy
Just like the real beverage, it won't take long for the blood chocolate to mix and spread in the drink. Though, the more time that passes, the messier (you might say creepier) the drink looks.
Participated in the
Halloween Contest 2017