Introduction: Dinosaur Coat Hanger:
Our eldest son has developed a bit of a thing for dinosaurs!
We needed a new coat rack for him and his brother so what better than a dinosaur one!
There's quite a few of these online but I wanted the dinosaurs attached firmly enough that a couple of toddlers wouldn't be able to destroy them easily.
Edit: There are at least two others on Instructables! I hadn't seen them on my original search?
- This one fill the Dinosaurs with plaster to secure them: Leners
- This one is very similar to how I did it: killerjackalope
Step 1: Cut Dinosaurs in Half!
There are probably 3D printable dinosaur heads but for me the easiest way was to buy some toys and cut them in half.
I used a hacksaw to cut the dinosaurs in half. Start off further back than half way and see how it works, it's easier to cut off more if needed.
Probably best not to do it on a carpeted floor, this was just the least worst photos.
Once cut in half trim any scruffy bits with a sharp knife.
Step 2: Mounting the Dinosaurs:
There are loads of dinosaur coat racks online already but I wasn't totally convinced by the mounting methods, many were glued and a cut dinosaur edge isn't a large glue-able surface.
I got some dowel inside each body and cut to size. I removed the dowel and filled with a generous amount of hot glue and reinserted the dowel, topping up the hot glue if necessary.
Then pilot a 2mm hole, a screw will be used to mount them to the backboard. I also tried all the screws before mounting, putting a screw into end grain isn't ideal so if it was going to split I wanted to know while I had everything out and ready to do a replacement.
Step 3: Paint Back Board:
This is a length of pine with the edges routed. I had done plenty as skirting board on our old house so this already had one long edge done with a Roman ogee bit. I whizzed around the other three.
I used two colors to delineate the space for the two users. I used spray paint, four light coats with 30-60 minutes to dry. The paint I have takes to wood without a primer but it's worth checking yours before starting.
For painting I masked off each side, shook the can for the required time (usually around 2 minutes) and gave reasonably light/fast coat, watching for any missed stripes. I spray off the ends to avoid puddles.
I don't have a spray booth so I take it outside put some new paper on the grass and some blocks under the board. During the colder months there's not a problem with insects but in summer I imagine the yellow would attract some.
Step 4: Layout:
With the Dinosaurs ready try laying out a few different ways to see what works. I was doing this between coats of paint, hence the masking remnants on the photos.
Once I was happy with a layout I drilled holes, I had a 4mm hole counter sunk on the back for each Dinosaur and used a 6mm hole and Forsner counter sink for the wall mount.
Step 5: Wall Mounting:
I held the board in place and marked the wall with a pencil through the mounting holes drilled during the previous step.
I was mounting onto plasterboard so used some screw-in plaster board fixings. I think they are rated for 6kg each so it should be OK unless the boys try hanging from it.
Step 6: Finished!
Finished!... sort of.
The tails seemed OK for about 2.3 seconds then looked like they would take out eyes when the kids get taller!
I'm trying to bend them over but also keeping a look out for more Dinosaur heads or some period relevant plant life to become a replacement.
Participated in the