Introduction: DODO Case Instructables Night CC Makerspace Nosepad
Here at the Chesterfield County Makerspace, we were selected to host a DODO case build night. This modification requires access to a 3D printer, a 3D printer that prints Ninjaflex is recommended but not required. This modification is a 3D printed nosepad. The design came about because having the cardboard on your nose for a long period of time is rather uncomfortable
Step 1: Download .stl File and Slice
Download the attached .stl file, and plug it into your favorite slicing program. (Makerware, slic3r, Cura, Kisslicer, etc...).
For those that can print in Ninjaflex settings are as follows:
Fill 20%, Extruder Temp: 225C, Bed Temp: 50C, Extrusion Speed: 30mm/s,
Travel Speed: 100 mm/s, Number of Shells: 2, Layer Height: 0.3mm
Include a raft and support material
Extra advice for Ninjaflex, make sure you unspool some off the roll so that the printer doesn't have to unroll it, we've noticed that instead of properly unrolling, the filament stretches and ruins the print. Also, make sure the print bed is very level, PLA is slightly forgiving, but Nflex is pretty cranky.
For those printing in standard PLA:
Fill 20%, Extruder Temp: 230C, Do not use heated bed, Extrusion Speed:
90mm/s, Travel Speed: 150 mm/s, Number of Shells: 2, Layer Height: 0.3mm
Include support material
Step 2: Clear Out Support Material
After you pull it off the bed, there will be support material in the middle of the channel. To properly fit on the cardboard, the material has to be removed. Removing support material in PLA is fairly easy, but the ninjaflex might be a little tricky. I used small scissors and snipped it out, while being careful not to cut all the way through. The red arrow shows the area where support has already been removed, while the yellow arrow shows areas that haven't been removed yet.
Step 3: Secure in Place
Push the nosepad into the nose cutout in the cardboard, and secure in place. The first time I tried using superglue and it was more trouble than it was worth. Second attempt we used hot-glue and it worked perfectly.
In this picture the faceplate has been 3D printed so that is why it is red and not cardboard colored.