Intro: Dan Dan Noodles
Dan Dan Mian 担担面
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 2 - 3
Dan Dan Sauce Ingredients:
½ cup of chicken stock
¼ cup of soy sauce
1 tbsp of Chinese sesame paste
2 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar
4-6 tbsp of chili oil with fried garlic (more if you like it spicier)
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of crushed Sichuan peppercorn
Dan Dan Pork Topping Ingredients:
2 scallions, roughed chopped, save some green for garnish
2 tsp of minced garlic
2 tsp of minced ginger
2 tbsp of of Tianjin preserved vegetables (optional)
½ lb of ground pork
1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine
1. Start with the sauce to give it a little of time for all the flavors to meld. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients. Mix/whisk until the sesame paste is thoroughly incorporated. There should be a vibrant
2. Now for the pork topping - Heat oil in a wok over high heat and quickly sautéd the scallions, garlic, ginger and preserved vegetables. Keep it moving so it doesn’t burn.
3. Once the scallions, garlic, ginger and preserved vegetables are fragrant, add the ground pork. Cook until no longer pink then add the Chinese cooking wine and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Cook the egg noodles per package directions, if fresh noodles, should take about 4 minutes.
5. Drain noodles and divide among two or three bowls, or however depending on your appetite. Spoon as much of the dan dan sauce over the noodles as you like and toss. Make sure all the noodle strands are coated in red. Spoon the dan dan pork over the noodles and garnish with scallions.
6. Serve immediately.
If you like things on the spicy side, you can drizzle chili oil over the noodles before serving.
If you want to add vegetables, bok choy goes well with Dan Dan Mian. Blanch the vegetables in the same pot you are using to cook the noodles.