Intro: Dark Sweet Cherry Loaf (Vegan)
I turned my go to dark sweet cherry loaf recipe into veganized version and I am happy to say I found a sweet success and have been making a lot of variation from the following recipe :)
It is originally a Hungarian sweet bread/loaf (Cseresznye Kalacs) which of course would be with dairy, but the veganized version is as best, even better maybe, since my husband keeps asking me to prepare it ;-)
Give it a try and see if you like it too :D
Step 1: Dough
- Heat 1 c unsweetened almond milk for 50 seconds in microwave (lukewarm), then stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil to dissolve.
- Add in 1 tbsp sugar and 2 tsp active dry yeast, stir. Let stand to bloom, 5 minutes
- In a separate bowl, place scant 3 c flour, mix with 2 tbsp sugar, 1 envelope of vanilla sugar, and 2 tbsp icing sugar, plus a pinch or two of salt.
- Make a well in center
- Pour in yeast mixture, knead to a lump of dough
- Rub and knead dough with 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cover with cling wrap and let rest in warm area for 30 mins
- Once dough is doubled in size, roll flat
Step 2: Filling
- Into a pan, place 2 c pitted fresh dark cherries with 3-5 tbsp sugar, and 1/4 c sour cherry nectar.
- Bring to boil for 2 mins then take out cherries from pan, leaving juice.
- Simmer juice for mins, stir often.
- Add in cherries again and cook for another 5 mins til cherries soften and juice a bit thicken. Take off from heat.
Step 3: Making the Loaf
- Halve more fresh cherries and make up to 1 C
- Spread cooked cherries and it's juice on the rolled flat dough, followed with the halved fresh cherries
- Roll to loaf and place on prepared sheet. Rest in warm area for 45 mins
Step 4: "Eggwash" and Baking
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar with 1 tbsp red kidney beans aquafaba (homemade is best, because I made mine ?)
- Brush this "egg-wash" on the loaf and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Cool on rack, slice, and enjoy.