These treats are just as good as chocolate truffles, but has no added sugar! (But dates being the main ingredient, it does have a lot of fructose!).
I use them as a nice sugar-free treat, but should be consumed as were they traditional treats due to the high amount of fructose.
Makes app. 20 truffles, depending on your definition of "bite sized".
Step 1: Ingredients
- 150g dried dates (pit free)
- 3 spoonful coconut flakes
- 1 spoonful coconut oil/butter (optional, but recommended!)
- 10-20 unsalted nuts of your choice (I made mine with half peacan and half cashew)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder or ½ fresh vanilla
- 3 spoonful unsweened cococa
- Optional: A bit of cinnamon or chilipowder, or maybe a bit of liquor
Step 2: Method
Cut the dates roughly into smaller pieces. If you want the truffles to be fine grained, start with the nuts and blend them in a blender or mixer. Otherwise, add all the ingredients and blend until you got a sticky mass.
Shape into bite-sized pieces. If you want, you can roll them in unsweened cocoa powder, coconut flakes or leave them as is.
Store in the fridge at least an hour before serving.