Introduction: De Magische Schommel
The "Magische Schommel" (Eng. Magical Swing) is an interactive swing made for several kids. The magical swing allows the kids to bring swinging to the next level! They can pull the kids in the swing in different ways and speeds, that can cause for a lot of unpredictable moves in there.
Here we gonna explain you how to make a scale model 1/10 of the real swing. Enjoy!
ideas, concepts, drawings, pictures, videos, documents, posters, comments, mock-up scale models, prototypes and machines that are developed in the context of MyMachine are the property of MyMachine vzw.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from MyMachine vzw is strictly prohibited. MyMachine vzw is a social profit organization that fosters creativity, entrepreneurship, open education and STEM in education.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: What Do You Need?
So what do we need ta make this magical swing?
Well we need:
4 meters of rope with a diameter of 6 millimeter.
3 times 1 meter of aluminium tube (hollow) with a diameter of 6 mm.
4 pieces of wood with dimensions: 400x20x10 mm.
4 pieces of aluminium plate with dimensions: 30x10x1 mm.
1 meter of aluminium tube with a diameter of 3 mm.
4 circles(diameter 20 mm) with a hole in the center with diameter 7 mm. The thickness don't really matters (we have taken 6 mm).
Step 2: Step 2: Making of the Basked.
1.We need to make some circles of the rope you can connect the rope at the end with some tape.
2.We need to cut 6 pieces of rope with a length of 22 centimeters.
3. We connect the pieces of rope 1 for 1 on the biggest circle we have made. We can do this very easy with a hot glue!
4. We take the second biggest circle and you glue it on the outside of the basked. You need to do this over and over again until the last circle is done!
5. We have a beautiful basked!
Step 3: Step 3: Preparing of the Wood.
1. if you don't have the wooden pieces of 400x20x10 millimeters yet, you need to saw them first.
2. we need to round up 1 half of each piece of wood with a radius of 10 millimeters. We have done this wit a sandpaper-machine, it did go really fast!
3. we need to drill some holes through the wood with a drill diameter of 7 millimeters (you can find the dimensions between the pictures!)
Step 4: Step 4: Making of the Aluminium Circles.
1. for this step you need 2 aluminium tubes of 1m.
2. we need to roll the aluminium tubes over and over again until we have a perfect circle. (the machine for rolling the aluminium can you find between the pictures) It's very important you don't roll the aluminium to much in 1 step. you need to make the circle in 5-6 steps.
3. once you have made 2 perfect circles, you need to put something in the hollow tubes ant glue it with some hot glue so it never loose.
Step 5: Step 5: Making of 2 Quarter Circles.
1. So we first need to roll the 1 tube we have left until we become a diameter of 480 millimeters. First we take a piece of paper and draw a halve circle on it with a diameter of 480 millimeters so we can easy compare the tube we are rolling with the right diameter.
2. Once we have become a perfect halve circles with a diameter of 480 millimeters we need to saw it perfectly in 2 pieces.
3. We also need to drill 4 holes in the wood, but watch out that you drill wright and not through the piece of wood! You need to assembly the 2 quarter circles in opposite of each other, the holes need to come on a height of 140 millimeters in the middle of the wood ( at 10 millimeters of the side).
Step 6: Step 6: Reinforcement Tubes.
So we are almost there! This are the last pieces we need to assembly your magical swing. For this step we need the 3 millimeter diameter tube.
1. We first need to saw the 1 meter we have in exactly 12 pieces of 80 millimeters.
2. We need ta make sure every end of the tubes is made in an angle of 45 degrees. The corners must be in opposite of each other like on the pictures.
Step 7: Step 7: Assembly of the Construction.
So once we have done all the previous steps we can start the assembly of the magical swing.
1. We need to put the circles above through the holes.
2. We gonna put the quarter circles in the holes with some hot glue. (picture 1)
3. Then we gonna glue the aluminium plates (30x10x1mm) on top of the wood above the circles to hold them in their place. (picture 2)
4. The last step of the construction is placing the reinforcement tubes in the corners. We connect the tubes witch hot glue in the corners. (picture 2)
Step 8: Step 8: Adding the Basked.
To add the basket on the construction we just need to knot 4 ropes on the basket of around 70 centimeters. Then we only need to add 4 circles with a hole in it of around 7 millimeter to knot on the rope like you see on the first picture, make sure if you knot bought sides that the basket don't touches the floor anymore!
Step 9: Step 9: Enjoy Swinging!
Enjoy the magical Swing!