Turn a standard map of the world into a showcase for your travels by plotting the places you've been.
Make a plain wall into a travel diary and source of inspiration.
Step 1: Foam Board
- Layer 1 - Lay the foam board next to each other so the total size is larger than your poster
- Layer 2 - Make a second layer but cut the board in halves and quarters so that none of the seams will lie on top of the seams on the first layer
- Use spray adhesive to glue the two layers together
- Use tables and books to hold the layers together while the glue dries.
Step 2: Mount the Map
- Use double sided tape or spray adhesive to attach the map to the board
- Cut off the excess foam board with a sharp craft knife
Step 3: Plot Your Travels
- Push small nails into all the places you have been.
- Wrap the string around the nails in the order you traveled to each destination
- Add a drop of super glue under the head of every nail to hold the string in place.
Step 4: French Cleats
- Make 4 french cleats out of thick corrugated cardboard by staggering 2 strips and gluing them together with hot glue
- Make the other half of the french cleats (that will mount on the wall) but chamfer the corners and leading edge so that the cleats will slide together easily
- Note the ‘grain direction’ of the corrugated cardboard. This is the strongest way to use the cardboard in this application.
Check out butynski’s instructable https://www.instructables.com/id/French-Cleat/ to see what a real french cleat is made of wood. This will help to understand the concept if you don't know what a french cleat is already.
The cardboard cleats were a bit of an experiment. I wasn't sure how strong they would be but they turned out great. It is very strong and stable.
Step 5: Mounting French Cleats
- Glue the straight cleats to the board with lots of hot glue
- Slide the cleats to be mounted on the wall into the cleats on the board and add some double sided tape. I added some masking tape to the chamfered edge so that it would grip the cleat and not fall out.
- Put your map on the wall in the position you want it and then unhook it from the cleats.
- The wall cleats will remain in place held by the tape in the perfect position. Put some screws in to hold them permanently
- Hang your map by sliding it down over the wall cleats and surround it with your favorite traveling pictures.
- There are two threads on my map. One for my travels and one for my girlfriends. I twisted both threads for destinations we went to together.
Use gel super glue and use a pencil or toothpick to apply the glue.
I picked an old looking map and copper nails. I think this color scheme works great.
If i was to do this again i would try and use a thicker thread or a color that contrasts the map more.